Hopstand - Hold Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying a hopstand for the first time when I try to clone Hop Ranch in a couple of weeks. There's just one thing I'm confused about that I haven't seen clarified.

Once I whirlpool the hops in at 180 degrees, do I then try to hold the the temperature there or do I continue chilling as normal? I do a split boil in two 2 gallon pots and I chill with an ice bath. If I need to hold the temperature, I could stick the pots in a pre-heated oven.

It generally takes me 35 minutes to get from boiling to 60 degrees.

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I've had good results getting to 180 or so and turning the chiller off & letting them sit in that 180-160ish range for 30 minutes or so.

That being said, I also have simply done flame-out additions & let the hops stand for 30 minutes before starting my chill with very similar results. Maybe some folks can tell a difference between the two methods, but I don't think I can...

Good luck

I find 20-30 mins of warm steeping time is plenty sufficient.

I drop to 160ish quick, add the hops, then slow the chiller to a trickle. The temp drops slowly to ~90 or so over the next 20-30 mins. Then I crank it back up and finish chilling. I've never felt the need to be scientific or exact here with time or temp; just an extended warm steep.

Cool, thanks guys. I think I'll try chilling to 180, add hops, pull them out of the ice bath and let it steep for 30 minutes. I guess I could throw in some ice packs into the sink to keep the ice from melting..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back