Hopslam All Grain - 170 Degree Mash Step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I have a recipe and brew instructions that comes directly from Bell's. I'm trying to get it dialed into Beersmith and having issues with the following mash instructions offered by Bell's:

1. Keep the mash at 150 °F for 45 minutes. Use a floating thermometer to monitor the mash temperature. Once your temperature has been reached, it is important to leave the mash tun closed. Continued opening/closing will cause you to lose temperature.

2. When the 45 minutes have passed, spend 15 minutes slowly ramping the temperature up to 170 °F. If using a cooler style mash tun add 2 gallons of boiling water.

3. Once you’ve reached 170 °F, let rest for the remaining 10 minu
tes.

The issue I have, is that Beersmith tells me that to go from 150 to 170 I would have to increase the volume of boiling water to over 3 gallons.

I'm struggling to decide if I should just go with the original volumes as suggested by Bell's and see where the final temp ends up vs. adding the additional volume as suggested by Beersmith and risk ending up with a lower pre-boil gravity as a result of dilution.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I assume you are using a cooler style mash tun.

Bells directions are not telling you that 2 gallons will bring it up to 170 degrees, they are saying "temperature up to 170 °F."
If you using a cooler style, add 2 gallons boiling water. Keep it that simple and it'll be fine

Whats the hop schedule look like

Here's the hops:

Amt Name
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min
4.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days