Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee

Reaction score
I was going to buy a few pounds of hops to use. Any suggestions of some general varieties that will fit different types of beers. I was thinking cascade, columbus, Crystal, saas, williamette.

Myself I would go with simcoe amarillo cascade centinnial, Kent goldings and maybe even some williamette but no one can answer this but you. It all depends on what you like to brew and what enjoy the most.

i have willamette, cascade, tettnang, hersbrucker, columbus, ek goldings, millenium, sterling, and spalter :D this gives me variability of scottish ales to english bitters to ipa's to apa's to hefeweizens. as mrdun says, though, you have to come up with your own list for what you like. if you tell us what flavors you like, we can suggest

if I put it in 1oz o2 bags how long will it last? I would get more if it would last a year. I'd hate to waste it even though im paying about 1/4 the cost of my hbs. That is a LOT of hops Lump.

When I buy by the pound I get Willamette, Cascade, and Columbus. Tonight I did an order through Farmhouse and bought a bigger variety of smaller amounts. I picked up some Ahtanum, Calypso, Chinook, Golding, Liberty, Mt. Hood, and Sterling.

If you like variety Farmhouse is definitely the way to go. I like their Bitter Bunch special. 1/4# of each Apollo, Bravo, Galena, and Summitt for 9.99------pretty hard to beat that. I just ordered some yesterday.

I like to make mostly American style beers so I usually get Chinook,Columbus,Centennial,Amarillo,Simcoe, but I also like to pick up a pound of Magnum because it's such a great bittering hop. Now I want to start getting into brewing some classic German Beers so I will probably also pick up some Saaz and Hallertauer. We've been doing bulk buys from Hop Direct and really getting great prices by the Pound.

A lot depends on how much you brew. I've found that having pounds of hops led me to brewing things I didn't really want just to use up the hops. A pound of Saaz for example was about 14 oz more than I really should have bought.

I usually have Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus or Magnum as my base hops and can pretty much work those into something I like. Beyond that I buy smaller quantities as needed.

For what its worth I have found that hops keep a very long time if vacuum sealed. About six weeks ago I brewed a batch with hops that were a year and a half old. It was an amarillo and simcoe pale ale with a 2.5 oz dry hop.

Funny thing is that about a year and a half ago I brewed this exact recipe and it came out phenomenal. These hops that I used for this most recent batch were from the same pound of hops that I used for my original batch.

I will admit that I had my doubts that this recent batch would turn out as good but it did and is a phenomenal beer.

Point is, by bulk hops without reservation. It's great. I wouldn't brew any other way

Centennial, Hallertau, Magnum, Cascade, E. Kent Goldings, and Willamette if I had 6 main hops. :mug:

Back