Hops, Timing and what it does for my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew_ny

Social_Misfit
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good Evening I am hoping to to brewing 07/06/2013 but that may or may not happen forgot all about the fourth and shipping ..oops :)

if not then it will be next weekend I was going to just start out doing all grain but need to find a good place to buy grain that will not break the bank on shipping

I have been read recipes and people brew logs to see what other do and read some papers and articles

I just want to be sure I understand timing and adding hops to my brew and what it does for me

form how I understand it from the start of the boil be it 60 or 90 or what have you until 25 minute the hops bitter the brew and longer the boil more flavor and aroma they lose.

from 25 until 7 minute give me flavor but no bitterness (or little) and not much aroma

where 7 to zero minutes and dry hopping gives me aroma

also with hops the shorter the boil time the more I need to use to end up with the same as a longer boil time

if I boil with less water for an extract brew it again changes how much hops I need to use to get the same numbers

I wanted to make sure I am getting this before I brew so I use my hops wisely

all the best and thanks

S_M

I am sure there is so much more that goes into using hops and someone will clue me :)

You have it about right. Personally I avoid mid of the road bittering additions, anything from 59 mins down to 20 mins, unless I am doing a continuously hopped IPA. I feel like you get more bang for your buck if you make additions in the very beginning for bittering and then solidly in the middle of the flavor and aroma zones.

Thanks for the reply I came away feeling the same way after reading a paper written by Daniel Morey which showed a lot of examples of hops addition at 60 to 50 and at about 15 and down

I have seen where people do hop additions every few minutes the whole boil with IPAs

all the best

S_M

You've got the hops info pretty straight. If you're looking for cheap grains, best thing is to buy in bulk. If you're looking for cheapest grain in smaller quantities, check some of the bigger online vendors and compare them to your local shop (which may be a few cents more, but you'll save on shipping and get your ingredients immediately). Where are you in NY?

Where are you in NY?

a bit west of Albany

I am looking to buy in bulk hoping to get in a group buy I am going to do a few extract brews to get rolling

I picked up 50 lbs of DME at a good price and some C40 and C60 to use to give me some malt and color for a few APA brews

just waiting an a few other pieces to the puzzle

S_M

Wow. Go big or go home I guess! Look at the group buy page. There's a guy in Poughkeepsie that does one every few months. He posts it as Hudson Valley group buy. That's where I've done a bulk order. I'm down in rockland county.

Wow. Go big or go home I guess! Look at the group buy page. There's a guy in Poughkeepsie that does one every few months. He posts it as Hudson Valley group buy. That's where I've done a bulk order. I'm down in rockland county.

Thanks I will check him out not that far to pick up some grain :)

all the best and have a great fourth

S_M

For finishing hops, a technique that's gaining popularity is hop stands - adding hops after flameout and steeping, normally covered. Time and temperatures seem to vary. This BYO article is a good one: http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands
I can't judge from personal experience because I just tried it on my last batch, and it's still in the fermenter.

thanks for the link, very good read

it is something that I will have to give a try, it is always good to read about what others are doing/trying and what is working and not working

have a great day

S_M

Back