Hops Tea Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindsorLaw

Reaction score
So I brewed three batches of a basic beer and wanted to add some citra hops, orange and coriander to one of them through a Hops Tea using a coffee press. Four questions:

1) For hops flavour:
Should I boil the hops in water for 10 mins and then strain the hops and add the liquid or steep them between 160f - 170f? I want flavour and aroma, does the 160f - 170f range only give aroma?

2) For Orange and Coriander flavour
Should I boil these in water for 10 mins or steep them between 160f - 170f.

3) Should I add this to the Keg now so that it conditions, or do I add it right before drinking?

4) Approximate much of each ingredient should I use for a 2.5 gallon batch?

This is the recipe that I used:

6lbs LME
1oz Tettnang Hops @ 60 mins
Safale US05 pitched at 65F for 4 weeks.

This is an interesting thought. I have pondered it myself. Using a whirlpool technique and holding the hops there for a period of time as you would normally for the effect of adding aroma. Boiling should increase the bitterness of your final product. How much however? Hard to say. Hypothetically you would have to assume the length of boiling time to get your software to work. In my software I would approach it by decreasing the OG, by increasing the volume of the hop tea, and adding the hops to a boiling step to configure the additional IBUs. And adding the hops and water all together would only yield that result as a "dry hop" and a hopback/whirlpooling

So in my hypothesis I say

1) For hops flavor:
In terms of Bitterness boil up the hops and add it all to a secondary after cooling.
In terms of Aroma add the hops to 165F-175F and whirlpool and add the liquid only after cooling

2) For Orange and Coriander flavor:
If you are talking about orange juice or the fruit for that matter and coriander - do not boil it, some say the pectin in the juice/fruit will cause some seriously bad flavors in your beer if boiled. Add the orange and the coriander straight into the secondary and allow the yeast to break down the fermentables

3) Should I add this to the Keg now so that it conditions, or do I add it right before drinking?

If you want more orange and coriander flavor I suggest making a syrup to add to the glass. Much like a Berliner Weisse. A hopped syrup would be an experiment in its self.

4) Approximate much of each ingredient should I use for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Orange - I'm not sure, I would assume less than 1/2 a lbs
Coriander - 1/2tsp
Hops - depends on what variety, and what the end goal is.

to add to this you would have to acidify your water to 5.2pH I believe for proper Isomerization of the alpha acids which is only 1% of the AA% per min of the boil... I think Dr. Charlie Bamforth talks about it in a podcast, but I don't remember which one, and I don't have the time to hunt it down...

Thanks for the input guys. These are just my first few batches so I'm not an expert at all with respect to acidifying my water and such. Here is what I did though. I boiled 1.5L of water for 10 mins at this schedule.

0.5oz Citra Hops @ 10 mins
1.0oz Citra Hops @ 5 mins
1.0oz Citra Hops Steeped between 160f - 170f for 15mins

I added this to the 3gallons keg. I'll report back after 3 weeks of conditioning. At that point, I will dry hop 1.5oz of Citra in the Keg for 7 more day before I cool and serve it.

Cheers:p

Back