Hops Tea. It's a bad choice....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad_Horse_Brews

Reaction score
So, while brewing my last batch I had half an ounce of hops left over and thought to myself, I wonder what would happen if I put this in my Kuerig and made hops tea???

Turns out it's bitter and not so hops tasting. It was overall a terrible choice. I tried adding sugar to sweeten it up..... nope.

So if you have ever wondered what hops tea would be like, now you know. It was more an experiment to kill time during the boil than anything else.

This needs further experimentation...

1. How is it iced?
  2. What if it's blended with green tea? Black? (To get nice hop flavor & aroma, you may need much less hops and a tea base).
  3. What if you add milk?
  4. How about hop coffee? Dark roasted coffee has a lot of the flavor profile of a strong, dark beer.

Hmm, wondering how dry hopping coffee for a couple of days and drinking it iced would work. I might have to give it a shot with some of my partial packs of hops.

When I want to "dryhop" a beer in short order, I'll run an ounce of hops through a cycle in the coffee maker with about 4 cups of water and toss that in the keg. Works like a charm!

One of two things is happening here... Either everyone realizes the stupidity in my curiosity and I'm being trolled....... Or the homebrewing community thinks like me and the general mentality is "there must be a way." :)

malweth said:
This needs further experimentation...

[*]How is it iced?
[*]What if it's blended with green tea? Black? (To get nice hop flavor & aroma, you may need much less hops and a tea base).
[*]What if you add milk?
[*]How about hop coffee? Dark roasted coffee has a lot of the flavor profile of a strong, dark beer.

My statement said..... Perhaps another round of "While the wort boils..." Science experiment is in order.

So, for all interested, we tried hopping coffee and after dialing in the ratios, it was a pleasant surprise. Couple hops pellets to a kuerig cup..... Not too shabby at all.

I'm interested! What variety of hops did you use? What size cup of coffee (I use 2 k-cups of dark roast coffee for 20 oz)? Is it good iced (I use 1 k-cup & 1 tea spoon instant espresso, 10 oz in a 24 oz Tervis cup filled w/ ice)?

Do you filter the hops or just add the pellets to the mug? I suppose it doesn't matter - depending on how gritty you like your coffee.

I may be trying this soon!

When I want to "dryhop" a beer in short order, I'll run an ounce of hops through a cycle in the coffee maker with about 4 cups of water and toss that in the keg. Works like a charm!

does this add any bitterness or just flavor and aroma?

Back