Hops Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelisHubby

Reaction score
I have some left over unopened packages of hops from more beer. Do these lose potency overtime and should I refrigerate them. :)

I store my hops in the freezer in a freezer bag. Best way to keep your hops fresh, unless you have a vacuum sealer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had some hop pellets from opened packages that I needed to wait a week or two to use for dry hopping. Stored them in ziploc sandwich bags and put them in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. Figured it might be overkill to use a freezer bag (those things aren't cheap!) since I was only storing them for a short amount of time.

Now my whole fridge smells like a nice blend of Columbia, Cascade, and Simcoe. Should have used the freezer bag. Hope the wife doesn't figure out what's going on.

I had some hop pellets from opened packages that I needed to wait a week or two to use for dry hopping. Stored them in ziploc sandwich bags and put them in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator. Figured it might be overkill to use a freezer bag (those things aren't cheap!) since I was only storing them for a short amount of time.

Now my whole fridge smells like a nice blend of Columbia, Cascade, and Simcoe. Should have used the freezer bag. Hope the wife doesn't figure out what's going on.

means it's not sealed very tight. but if it's short term, doesn't matter.
I bought a cheap vacuum sealer from target (made by ziploc I think). It works well for hop pellets since I buy by the pound, then I store them in fridge after sealing.
For the hops that I grow in my backyard, I store those in the freezer.

means it's not sealed very tight. but if it's short term, doesn't matter.
I bought a cheap vacuum sealer from target (made by ziploc I think). It works well for hop pellets since I buy by the pound, then I store them in fridge after sealing.
For the hops that I grow in my backyard, I store those in the freezer.

The bags were sealed as tightly as they could be. I think the thinness of a sandwich bag allowed the hop odor-- I mean fragrance-- to escape, while the thicker freezer probably would have held it in better.

I've noticed a huge decline in color of open bags in a freezer. My freezer keeps about -27C (-17F) and after a few weeks even if packed in plastic bags the color just fades. This is oxidation. I don't know what effect this has on the impact on the beer since I can't measure it. But I'm getting a vacuum sealer for sure.

I've noticed a huge decline in color of open bags in a freezer. My freezer keeps about -27C (-17F) and after a few weeks even if packed in plastic bags the color just fades. This is oxidation. I don't know what effect this has on the impact on the beer since I can't measure it. But I'm getting a vacuum sealer for sure.

Regardless of how you store them hops will loose flavor/aroma in a fairly short time after opening. This is due to exposure to oxygen. The people who package them in those little silver bags flush those packets with nitrogen so there is minimal oxygen present to degrade the hops. In those packets, if kept frozen, the hops will keep for up to 5 years. But once opened the hops may be expected to be really good for no more than 3-5 weeks. Add to this the complication that different varieties of hops keep better than others and we find ourselves juggling partially used packets of hops with a lot of questions about how and how long to store them before we use them

From what I've learned to date the best "rule of thumb" is for us to buy hops in packages and quantities that we can use up within a few weeks of opening. Additionally, we need to plan our brewing so we can use up those partial packets while they are still at their peak.

:mug:

I have a lot of hops. I like the 4 ounce packs from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. I also have some pound sized of hops I use regularly. After they get opened they go into a FoodSaver vacuum bag. Some of my hops are from the 2012 crop and they are still pretty fresh. If I know they are older I use a little more.

They are all stored in the freezer.

the vacuum seal bags are great to use for long term storage ( i use them for cooking as well and i grow my own hops so it gets a major workout from time to time) .. if i know i'm going to use them in the near future i'll just squeeze as much air as possible out and put them in the freezer.. if not i'll vacuum the air out and stick them in my basement freezer and i can use them just about whenever

Regardless of how you store them hops will loose flavor/aroma in a fairly short time after opening. This is due to exposure to oxygen. The people who package them in those little silver bags flush those packets with nitrogen so there is minimal oxygen present to degrade the hops. In those packets, if kept frozen, the hops will keep for up to 5 years. But once opened the hops may be expected to be really good for no more than 3-5 weeks. Add to this the complication that different varieties of hops keep better than others and we find ourselves juggling partially used packets of hops with a lot of questions about how and how long to store them before we use them

From what I've learned to date the best "rule of thumb" is for us to buy hops in packages and quantities that we can use up within a few weeks of opening. Additionally, we need to plan our brewing so we can use up those partial packets while they are still at their peak.

:mug:

How will a vacuum-sealer play with this? Once they've been exposed to oxygen, there's go going back? Or will they last longer if vacuumed and sealed and kept in freezer after they've been opened?

How will a vacuum-sealer play with this? Once they've been exposed to oxygen, there's go going back? Or will they last longer if vacuumed and sealed and kept in freezer after they've been opened?

If you can get your hands on the May/June issue of Zymurgy magazine you'll find an excellent article on this subject. What I took away from reading it is that, yes, once the packet is opened the clock starts ticking on the hops. Vacuum sealing and freezing does seem to help some, but unless we can find a way to purge the oxygen and replace it with an inert gas such as nitrogen those hops will only remain good for a few weeks to perhaps as much as a couple of months, depending on variety.

I have purchased hops by the pound and broken them into 4 oz. packs, vacuum sealed and frozen. I still have some in my freezer. And I have made decent beer with them. But I also opened a 4 oz. pack of EKG from the 2013 crop and found them to be about half pellets and half powder after 6 months in the freezer. I wouldn't have bought hops in that condition had I found them for sale at the LHBS.

Yes. I have that issue of Zymurgy, but as far as I recall I don't think vacuum sealing was mentioned in it.

I have purchased hops by the pound and broken them into 4 oz. packs, vacuum sealed and frozen. I still have some in my freezer. And I have made decent beer with them. But I also opened a 4 oz. pack of EKG from the 2013 crop and found them to be about half pellets and half powder after 6 months in the freezer. I wouldn't have bought hops in that condition had I found them for sale at the LHBS.

Frost free freezers go through automatic slight thaw/re-freeze cycles. This accelerates freezer burn in foods that are not vacuum sealed. I am pretty sure the temp cycling would break up hop pellets even if they are vac sealed.

A good old chest freezer is better (and colder) if you have access to one.

If you can get your hands on the May/June issue of Zymurgy magazine you'll find an excellent article on this subject. What I took away from reading it is that, yes, once the packet is opened the clock starts ticking on the hops. Vacuum sealing and freezing does seem to help some, but unless we can find a way to purge the oxygen and replace it with an inert gas such as nitrogen those hops will only remain good for a few weeks to perhaps as much as a couple of months, depending on variety.

I think the general consensus is hops vacuum sealed properly and put in a freezer will last for years. Atleast thats what people like Jamil and John Palmer say. The colder the better.

As for the original question, if you arent storing large amount of hops using mason jars and sealing them with a vacuum sealer is the best ive found.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFFS6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They make both wide and regular mouth jar versions. I stick all of my extra hops from a brew day into individual jars and vacuum seal them up and stick them in the freezer.

Its much better than constantly using wasting vacuum bags every time you need half an ounce of hops...the bags are expensive. Hell once you've opened a bag once or twice the bag itself has cost more than the hops.

It takes up a bit more room but they are just easier to get to and reseal properly quickly to go back in the freezer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I have that issue of Zymurgy, but as far as I recall I don't think vacuum sealing was mentioned in it.

See page 40.

"An opened packet of Cascade pellets will be good for two weeks when stored at 50F (10C) and five weeks at 26F. Resealing the bag at home does not provide the same protection as the original package, although using a foodsaver vacuum sealer and new Mylar packaging certainly adds a measure."

For those without access to this article the contributors were The North Carolina Hops Project, The Barth-Haas Group, Hopunion, Hophead Farms and Northern Brewer.

I think the general consensus is hops vacuum sealed properly and put in a freezer will last for years. Atleast thats what people like Jamil and John Palmer say. The colder the better.

If you would be kind enough to provide a cite on that I'd be interested to read what they have said on the subject. I do realize Jamil and Palmer get a lot of accolades from home brewers. And I respect their views on most subjects. On this one, though, I think we would do well to at least listen to those who make a living growing and packaging hops. Jamil and Palmer, after all, don't do that. They are not experts on growing, packaging and storing hops. They are experts at writing and selling books about home brewing beer.

Which is not to say they are wrong. But when I encounter conflicting points of view I choose to "follow the money". The guy that makes a living at it, in my experience, usually understands the issue better and has a more correct view.

Cheers!

Back