Hops Schedule for IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyb332

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm building a recipe for an IIPA based of the tiny amount of info I could find on Odell's Myrcenary Double IPA. My base grains and specialty grains are already purchased but I'm still tinkering with the hops schedule and would like some input on it. The hops I have to work with are

2oz. Simcoe
1oz. Columbus
1oz. Chinook
2oz. Amarillo
2oz. Centennial
1oz. Perle
2oz. Horizon

Here's what I have for recipe. I calculated on Brewmaster's Warehouse Brew Builder

2.5 Gallon Batch
OG - 1.085
FG - 1.021
IBU - 67.2
SRM - 11.5

4lb. Extra light DME
8oz. 2row caramel 40
4oz. Vienna
4oz. Cara Munich
4oz. Honey Malt

Hops:
.25oz. Horizon @60min.
.25oz. Colubus @45min.
.25oz. Perle @30min.
.25oz. Chinook @30min.
.25oz. Centennial @15min.
.25oz. Amarillo @15min.
.25oz. Simcoe @5min.

Dry Hop
1oz. Simcoe
1oz. Amarillo
.5oz. Centennial
.5oz. Horizon

Any input is welcomed. If anyone sees any glaring problems with the recipe let me know. Regarding the Hops... The Dry Hop list is what (supposedly) an Odell's employee told someone that they dry hop Myrcenary with. Another source listed the remaining hop varieties as being used... so that's what I used to build it.

Should I be using larger amounts and less frequent additions in the boil? Also, should I not use any of the hops in the boil that I'm going to dry hop with? I guess I'm just afraid that with all the small additions of the numerous hops, that those flavors will get lost and basically be wasted hops.

Thanks,
scottyb

Not really familiar with Myrcenary, but I think a DIPA should have a little bit more hops. Use the Horizion for bittering only, and I don't really think the Perle will fit here, or add anything, but you could still try it. The 45 min (and some would even argue the 30 min) additions won't do anything but add more bitterness, very little flavor/aroma. For my IPA/DIPAs I will do a FWH or 60min addition, and then add everything else <20min, including a hop stand after flame out.

You do have 7 varieties of hops here. In my experience, sticking with less (in terms of varieties) is more. I usually never have more than 4 different types of hops... typically sticking with 1-3 varieties. But go ahead and experiment, you may come up with something you enjoy.

Just my 2 cents.

Back