Hops on vinyl fence rails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbrewer1

Reaction score
My house is a new development so there are no mature trees and very few fences of any kind so a vertical system is not an option for me. It would stick out like a very sore thumb. I read several other posts about growing hops horizontally and know about the potential for lowered yields and needing to train the bines frequently to get them to grow that way.

I think I can convince my wife to let me try growing them on the vinyl fence I plan to install in the back yard. She wants to use vinyl fence with 2x6 rails at about 1', 3', and 5' off the ground.

A handful of questions.

1. Will the 2x6s be too big for the bines to wind around? I could put some small screw eyes in the fence posts and run some sort of twine/cord between them if need be and train the bines arond that.

2. Would there by any concerns with running bines on all 3 rails? If not, what would be the best way to do that? Use one bine down the center rail and let it spread? Plant 3 separate plants and wind one around each rail?

3. The fence will run about 90' on each side and about 45' along the back. How far apart should I start each "run"? If I do 8' rails, would starting a new run every 16' be reasonable?

Does any/all of that make sense? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Back