Hops not looking healthy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine are taking a real turn for the worst, starting to not grow and look very sickly. much like the pictures i posted. but at the top now.

This is a third year plant, if I recall. Last year most of my hops didn’t look as good because of weather patterns. This year I had a wet spring and did not even feed them. I also didn’t have this infestation of eastern comas. I guess they approve too, lol. I had seen the adults flittering around my nuggets the day I discovered the webs etc. The good news is even when the plant looks unhealthy what is happening underground if it isn’t too wet, will be stronger for next year.

http://wncveggies.blogspot.com/2010/05/hops-pest-eastern-comma-butterfly.html

Last edited:
It definitely looks like mites...

This is what I am doing just sprayed it all down with garden safe bug killer. I had a fungicide/ mite killer. I also used a kills on contact bug killer all over the plant. Now I will cut away all the bad looking leaves. Looks like the bugs are mostly on one bine right now. I will add pictures soon
I think baking soda and water is a good organic spray. I don't know the ratios. I have a hop book I can check if you want the info. I used that and early on before the cones grew I would make a fertilizer tea. Also organic. Then spray the leaves and bines. I never had bugs or downy mildew. I lived in Des Moines Iowa at the time. I grew cascade and nugget.

I also used a zap-tap lauter tun filled with fertilizer and used it to water my bines. I'd fill it with water and let it slow drip/dribble water into the center of the plant. They would get a lot of nutrient this way. The root cutting was at ground level but covered with a mound of black dirt and mulch. This provided good drainage. Underneath the root was 50lbs of black dirt and fertilizer mix

A zap-tap lauter tun is a nested bucket set. In this arrangement the top bucket is drilled with holes to create a false bottom. Then you jam a 3/8 hose into a 1/4 drilled hole in the bottom bucket. No fittings are required. It drains like a mash tun would. No stuck sparges... The shït runs right through it. - LoL

I think baking soda and water is a good organic spray. I don't know the ratios. I have a hop book I can check if you want the info. I used that and early on before the cones grew I would make a fertilizer tea. Also organic. Then spray the leaves and bines. I never had bugs or downy mildew. I lived in Des Moines Iowa at the time. I grew cascade and nugget.

I also used a zap-tap lauter tun filled with fertilizer and used it to water my bines. I'd fill it with water and let it slow drip/dribble water into the center of the plant. They would get a lot of nutrient this way. The root cutting was at ground level but covered with a mound of black dirt and mulch. This provided good drainage. Underneath the root was 50lbs of black dirt and fertilizer mix

A zap-tap lauter tun is a nested bucket set. In this arrangement the top bucket is drilled with holes to create a false bottom. Then you jam a 3/8 hose into a 1/4 drilled hole in the bottom bucket. No fittings are required. It drains like a mash tun would. No stuck sparges... The shït runs right through it. - LoL

Very cool do you have any pictures? I am about to add some of my sick baby :(

Very cool do you have any pictures? I am about to add some of my sick baby :(
Pictures...Starting with this. As my hop growing started 20 years ago. Any pictures I have are 10 years old.

Nutrient Deficiency....
IMG_20190815_223741.jpeg

Let me know if you need something specific... I will try find any excerpts in this book.

I'd check the nutrient deficiency table first.

Last edited:
Charlie Papazian Zap-tap Lauter Tun..... This is from The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.

Try this to make hop manure tea. You need something like this so you don't have particulate matter that would clog your sprayer.

IMG_20190815_225838.jpeg

Last edited:
Charlie Papazian Zap-tap Lauter Tun..... This is from The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.

Try this to make hop manure tea. You need something like this so you don't have particulate matter that would clog your sprayer.

.View attachment 640151

thank you for the help, i am going to go out tomorrow and get a good look at it all. hopefully i can take all this and have a great year next season. maybe bring it back a bit and have something for my work.

Some kind of caterpillar... I don’t think soapy water is going to penetrate the web. I cut out what I could reach. This a a centennial appears they like it the best.

I believe they are called tent caterpillars they seem to have up and down cycles around here, you'll see them on trees in the woods. If you don't get rid of them, they will spread and eat every leaf off of the tree/plant they are on.
One year I ignored them and they completely defoliated my apple tree.
It would probably be best to cut the hop plant off where the tent caterpillars are.
When I see them, I spray 'em with wasp/hornet killer, poke the tent mass with a stick and spray them some more. They are all dead in a short time. I then cut the branch off that has the tent and burn it or otherwise get rid of it.
The caterpillars return to the "tent" when it starts getting dark, so wait until then so you catch them all in one place.
Your hop plant will grow back after cutting it off, just give it some water and composted cow manure.
Next year, check your plants often for bugs. Sevin spray or something similar will control bugs before they get too numerous.
Rph guy, your photos look like chlorosis, as someone has already noted. This is sometimes caused by too much water or but it could be an issue with your soil nutrients or the soil PH.
I'm having a similar problem with vegetables I'm trying to grow in containers.
I believe I should have added some pelletized lime to the potting mix.
We've had a lot of rainy days around here June/July and my G/F insists on watering the potted plants every single day. Now that its dried out and warmed up the last few weeks the problem is reduced somewhat.
Look for a product called Iron-tone in your local hardware store, Walmart doesn't usually have it.
I used it and it made a difference.
There are you tube videos that describe chlorosis.
41snCE6OFPL.jpg

I have a Plot twist. my house sold and we a moving in 3 weeks... we planned on renting back but they said get out now or no deal. so i have to move in with the in laws until our house is done. do i harvest early or pull down the hops and tie them up in a tree for a few weeks?

C56A9EBD-698A-42D8-84BD-211E0047887D.jpeg

I want to burn these with fire... instead I removed the leaves and put them in soapy water.
05B8B047-6292-4B7A-804D-36C0F8C42464.jpeg

These Fuggle cones are almost ready and the plant is free of tent caterpillars, thankfully.

Latest posts

Back