Hops n' Heroin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandaBrau

Reaction score
Is it just me or are hops like super addictive? Since I started drinking IPA's nothing tastes right to me but really hoppy beers. Anything else is just too sweet. Last one I drank was Green Flash Brewery's Palate Wrecker. It was probably the best beer I've ever had. If anybody has a clone recipe for that one I'd appreciate it if you would post it.

i was kinda feeling the same way lately. finally got to the point where i "got" ipa's and was really craving hops. i still drink a lot of them. but you kind of come full circle after a while and start craving malty beers again. i like 'em all i guess.

I've never gotten on board the hops train, but I've seen and known so many people who try an IPA and then can't get enough hops in their beers from then on that I appreciate that there has to be something to it. Sometimes I think hops must taste differently to other people :).

I've never gotten on board the hops train, but I've seen and known so many people who try an IPA and then can't get enough hops in their beers from then on that I appreciate that there has to be something to it. Sometimes I think hops must taste differently to other people :).

nah, it's like all those flavors: sour, spicy, bitter - you have to get used to them slowly. but the more you have them the better they taste and you start to crave them.

It took me a while to get into hoppy beers. I don't know what happened, but one day a switch got flipped and now it's all I can think about. I remember when I thought Dead Guy was too bitter (40 IBU.) Now, some of my favorite beers are 100+, and if it were my beer, I would have added more.

But like others have said, it comes full circle. I'm starting to design my beers with around 60 IBU, which is pleasantly bitter but lets the malt play along as well.

I do think hops are addictive, though. I swear I will just get a craving for an IPA, and not matter what, I have to have an IPA. No other beer will suffice. So it's not just a want for alcohol, it's the lupulin I need. Sometimes just smelling an IPA will send my head spinning to heaven.

I go in waves. There are times where nothing but hops work and then just as fast will not be able to stand it so hoppy and enjoy a real good malty brew.

I started off brewing mostly hop bombs. Then I learned to enjoy the nuances of yeast, then big gravity malty beers, now especially the cleanness of a great German lager.

Cyclman said:
I started off brewing mostly hop bombs. Then I learned to enjoy the nuances of yeast, then big gravity malty beers, now especially the cleanness of a great German lager.

+1 the name of the game for me is balance...and now I'm into dubbel and BDSAs

been brewing for 18ish months? only brew IPAs because that's all I enjoy.. I'm waiting for it to pass when I can enjoy another style.. hasn't happened yet. When I go to a restaurant or bar and they don't have an IPA.. sometimes I'll just get a club soda.

I used to love hops and stouts now a days a clean helles, gueze, brown porter, or a sasion fits me. Taste buds shift, I still have IPA now and then but I don't enjoy the obtrusive beers as much anymore

For those of you who are of the "Can't get enough hops" variety, is it the hop flavor/aroma that you crave, the bitterness, both?? Just curious.

For those of you who are of the "Can't get enough hops" variety, is it the hop flavor/aroma that you crave, the bitterness, both?? Just curious.

Its both.
The favor and aroma don't work properly without the bitterness.
Everyone I know who loves Ipas also like gin and tonics. And the ones that don't, don't. Do you other IPA lovers like gin and tonic?

Its both.
Everyone I know who loves Ipas also like gin and tonics. And the ones that don't, don't. Do you other IPA lovers like gin and tonic?

I assume that's probably pretty standard (that it's both), but I was curious.

As far as Gin and Tonic, I love Gin and Tonics, and I am not huge on hops at all. Shrug.

Its both.

Funny you asked, b/c for me it's (I think) mostly the aroma and flavors, although I do like bitter stuff including really hoppy beers, Gin/tonic (or tonic just by itself -- my go to non alcoholic drink when out), etc.

Still, a lot of my most recent brews have been SMaSH's, and I target a pretty low IBU rating (~ 45 to 50 IBU, BU:GU of ~ 0.75) and pack all my hops in the last 20 min to maximize the aroma/flavor...

Hi, I'm a home brewer and I have a hops buying problem...

I got really into making really hoppy beers because I can't get the flagship ones in Pittsburgh. Suddenly I was buying a stand up freezer, 10# of hops, and making nuclear hop bombs.

I realized my addiction had gone too far when I tried doing 20 minute hop burst brews of Nelson Sauvin or Citra cream ales, and when I realized great hoppy beers don't cellar well.

Ok - to be honest I never learned my lesson. I just maxed out the IPA category on Untapped and had to branch out to other beer styles :tank:

It took me a pretty long time to beat my palette into submission to become a hophead, but I go for hop aroma and flavor more than just over-the-top bitterness.

Don't get me wrong, the bitterness probably keeps the hop oils, alcohol, and such from getting cloying, I just need a moderate amount and a lot of late addition character. Yet, I'm not really a fan of gin & tonics. Go figure.

Is it just me or are hops like super addictive? Since I started drinking IPA's nothing tastes right to me but really hoppy beers. Anything else is just too sweet. Last one I drank was Green Flash Brewery's Palate Wrecker. It was probably the best beer I've ever had. If anybody has a clone recipe for that one I'd appreciate it if you would post it.

Yes! I'm addicted as hell to hops as well it really has ruined other lighter beer styles for me. Not that I might that much I'll just keep brewing up some crack...err IPA.:mug:

Hi, I'm a home brewer and I have a hops buying problem...

I got really into making really hoppy beers because I can't get the flagship ones in Pittsburgh. Suddenly I was buying a stand up freezer, 10# of hops, and making nuclear hop bombs.

I realized my addiction had gone too far when I tried doing 20 minute hop burst brews of Nelson Sauvin or Citra cream ales, and when I realized great hoppy beers don't cellar well.

Ok - to be honest I never learned my lesson. I just maxed out the IPA category on Untapped and had to branch out to other beer styles :tank:

Just FYI...Farmhouse Brewing is opening up their shop in PGH...

Hi! My name is Brewcephus and I'm addicted to hops. :)

I can drink other beers, but if I have a craving for an IPA no other beer is going to satisfy me. Like someone else here said earlier, I have 11lbs of hops in my freezer for the coming brew year so I will have lots of IPAs on tap next year.

Back