hops growing during drought conditions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
Anyone know if hops goes dormant during drought conditions?
My plant was doing well then over the course of a 3-4 day period wilted then completely dried up.
At first i thought it was wilt from over watering but truthfully i don't believe it was over watered.
In nj we had a wet beginning of summer, then the rain pretty much stopped for the last 5 weeks.
I dug up the rhizome and moved it to a part of my yard where it is in my veg garden.
I am hoping it went dormant and now will come back having been moved to an area that gets watered daily.
It had not developed any root system.
It is the Willamette variety.

I don't really have an answer for your question, but I'm in NY and have been seeing the same weather as you. My plants seam to be doing fine, I have been watering about once a week.

I have a second year Fuggle and first year Cascade and MT Hood. The MT Hood has stopped growing but its not dried up, I don't think it will have cones this year. The other two have burrs right now and I'm hoping to have a good harvest.

Your plant is probably done for. I'd dig up you rhizome and cut a piece off, if it's bone dry it's cooked. You can also take a piece out and put it in a jar of water in a sunny area of your house, if it starts budding then it's ok. I have a 3 year old Mt. Hood here in Linden, NJ and whenever it's hot and humid the leaves start drying up. Generally speaking hops like cooler low humid conditions. Anyway here are 2 pics of my plants. You can see some leaves drying up. Since my plant is well established it would take some massive stress to kill.
WP_000010.jpg

WP_000011.jpg

On a side note for all you hop growers, would you trim the dead leaves or just let em go?

Back