hops from cuttings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
I started 4 new plants from cuttings this year, and I'd like to give then a good head start for next year. I was considering pinching the burs off (if they actually put them out) so get have more energy for rhizome/root development this year. What do you guys think?

I started a few from cuttings back in may. they're growing about as fast as the rhizomes next to them so I plan on just letting them do what nature has them do. I've heard of people planting rhizomes and not getting production out of them the first year so i would think the same would come of a cutting. but ultimately my reason for not messing with them is i'm afraid of killing them by screwing with them.

i doubt they'll even put out cones this year.
my thinking (and i feel like i've heard this with some other gardening before) is that cone production takes a lot of energy, and if it were to put some out, they probably wouldn't even be usable. so why let the plants waste the energy making them?

At a certain point in the growing season, the plant shifts it focus toward reproducing. That's just what happens in nature and you know what happens when you try to fool Mother Nature don't you. Haha. I'd just let em go. They'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back