Hops for non-citrusy pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I've got a friend who wants a lower gravity pale ale (somewhere between 4% and 5% abv) and doesn't like the citrus dominated pale ales (or IPAs). I was leaning towards a combination of Amarillo, Columbus and Chinook.

I've never used Columbus or Chinook, so I don't know what the characteristics are.

Here's my first draft of my recipe:
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/the-gentleman-1
8 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60L
2 oz Black Malt

20 IBUs bittering hops @ 60 mins
.5 oz each of Amarillo, Columbus, and Chinook @10
.5 oz each of Amarillo, Columbus, and Chinook @ flame out

US-05 yeast

Any feedback is appreciated.

Lets see... Chinook can be quire sharp, piney, resiny with some citrus.
Columbus has generic/mild citrusness with dank characteristics (onion or garlic).

You could consider something more floral, like Willamette... or earthy, like Glacier.

Challenger is a nice clean resiny hop.

Saaz is lovely.

Lets see... Chinook can be quire sharp, piney, resin with some citrus.
Columbus has generic citrusness with dank characteristics (onion or garlic).

You could consider something more floral, like Willamette.

Amarillo is also a heavy citrus hop. I enjoy mt hood hops in certain beers.....

Glacier would be good
Columbus is danky danky. but very different from citrus, can be a bit overpowering though.
chinook is, like weezy said, piney.. so that would be a bit different
nugget would be fun.
i did an all simcoe that was pretty badass

I say willamette as well. Delta is also nice. It's a cross between cascade and fuggles. Not citrus forward since the fuggles comes through pretty good, but it has some subtle citrus notes. Maybe a delta/willamette blend would work well. Floral and a little spicy, with a hint of citrus

You could also look into using english hops.

I agree with the Willamette paired with another hop. In my experience that hop tends to work real well with others.

Some citrus is ok. He just doesn't like the really citrus beers (I'm guessing anything with citra is no good)

what about a mix of simcoe and amarillo? I still want SOME citrus component in there, just don't want it overpowering

Some citrus is ok. He just doesn't like the really citrus beers (I'm guessing anything with citra is no good)

what about a mix of simcoe and amarillo? I still want SOME citrus component in there, just don't want it overpowering

Seriously. Look into Delta (cascade/fuggles cross).

Also, Simcoe Amarillo is fairly citrusy IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Id go with galaxy or other nz/aus hops, they tend to be fruity without much citrus, especially nelson sauvin, friggin love that hop

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back