Hops Direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just weighed the 6.0% leaf Willamette hops that were part of my order. Bagged them into disposable strainer bags and froze. The one pound I ordered weighed out to 22.5 ounces!

I've had similar experiences with their last years on sale leaf hops. I don't think they even weigh them, just fill the bag up and vacuum it.

I just weighed the 6.0% leaf Willamette hops that were part of my order. Bagged them into disposable strainer bags and froze. The one pound I ordered weighed out to 22.5 ounces!

I've had similar experiences with their last years on sale leaf hops. I don't think they even weigh them, just fill the bag up and vacuum it.

I've never had a pound from them under ~19 oz, sometimes more. Not just on sale, it's always. Combined with their high quality, it makes me a loyal customer. Have another "pound" arriving Saturday. Mine's Willamette leaf, too, I'll see how we measure up!

I've ordered from them for the brewery I work at. First order the centennial were fantastic, the next bag we got was super cheesy smelling. Had to toss them. That's the last time I've ordered from them.

I've ordered from them for the brewery I work at. First order the centennial were fantastic, the next bag we got was super cheesy smelling. Had to toss them. That's the last time I've ordered from them.

Instead, perhaps, contact them and explain the "super cheesy smelling" as ask them to resolve. Why so quick to toss and never use again? Mistakes/problems do happen. I judge a business by how they reply/react.

I love Hops Direct! When I moved back to the US and started homebrewing again, I was shocked at how expensive an ounce or two of hops cost at the LHBS. Went on line and discovered hops direct, and ordered several pounds of their sale stock including First Gold. I know I've ordered more than 20 pounds and have at least 5# sitting in the fridge
1. their pounds are actually homebrew pounds (always a couple of ounces over)
2. whole hop bags take up a lot of freezer space
3. had one bag of whole hops that was pretty brown, but I just added more
4. occasionally the alpha acid is way off what is typical. I think it was tettnang, which was about 2.2% alpha acid
5. twice they didn't ship one pound of the order. One email and it was in the mail immediately with no charge. Once they sent the missing pound and an extra pound for my trouble.
6. Their regular prices are very competitive as well
7. If I want to try out a new to me hop, I usually will order here so I can really test out the hop. Sorachi Ace is the most recent one in this category

Loyal customer...

First order the centennial were fantastic, the next bag we got was super cheesy smelling. Had to toss them. That's the last time I've ordered from them.

Had the same experience as you and started buying from hopheaven instead with much better quality.

Some good pricing right now on various 2019 crop hops. I try to place one order a year or two as their shipping is kind of pricey. I also try to stay within a year on the hop dates as the price difference is usually not worth going that far out of date. Never had cheese from then and always found them to be responsive over e-mail. Plenty of fodder for my mason jars, food saver and freezer!

Had the same experience as you and started buying from hopheaven instead with much better quality.

What's the website? www.hopheaven.com doesn't work and I can't find anything on a google search for that name.

I've been happy with orders from Morebeer lately but they're so popular that it's taking about 10 days before my order even ships. I'd like to find a decent online store (preferably in the northeast) to purchase supplies. I need grains and hops.

Last edited:
Atlantic Brew Supply has 2 day shipping to NY, but can't say how quickly they place orders now, my last one was pre-COVID. Their grain prices are good for an online supplier and the liquid yeasts I've gotten have been very fresh, maybe because White Labs is nearby. Can't speak to their hops.

Thanks all. I ended up order 3 different hops from hopheaven.com and they arrived quickly. Each 8oz package measured 8.55oz so I'm a happy customer. :)

Although I think Hops Direct would have been cheaper prices had they had Citra in stock at the time of my order. I spent $56.51 on 24oz of hops which is still better than local pricing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back