Hops - covered in aphids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBBC13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I harvested about 1/3 of my cascade and centennial hops today. they look great except after leaving them in the bucket for an hour, I see tons of aphids crawling out. I was planning on getting some insecticidal soap tomorrow which should get rid of them. my question is: will the soap (which I believe breaks down, but not sure) affect my wet hopping this weekend?

Yeah, I wouldn't use anything like that this close to harvest, personally. I think you'd taste it in the beer.

wondering if my initial harvest last week had same aphids problem. I didn't see the aphids in this batch until an hour after I picked them. Last week, I just dumped the hops right into flame out.

maybe I'll spray the hops still on vine to harvest next sunday and use the ones I just picked as is

wondering if my initial harvest last week had same aphids problem. I didn't see the aphids in this batch until an hour after I picked them. Last week, I just dumped the hops right into flame out.

maybe I'll spray the hops still on vine to harvest next sunday and use the ones I just picked as is

Dont spray them with a week left thats dumb.

Just dont wet hop with them,dry them out and package them and then use them.

Spraying this close to harvest will just get you sick. A few bugs in your boil arent going to ruin anything, it will all get left behind in the trub in the pot or in the fermenter anyways.

what part of the country are you in, im in Michigan and i have no aphids on my hops, spiders yes but no aphids lol.

what part of the country are you in, im in Michigan and i have no aphids on my hops, spiders yes but no aphids lol.

Does it actually matter?

Last year I had a fantastic aphid infestation in my Centennials. There were millions of the li'l bastids bailing out of the oast a day into drying.

This year? Zero.

My Centennial, Chinook and Cascade (and a little Fuggles) are all in and I haven't seen a single aphid.
Didn't get any spider mites, either.
Very weird, frankly...

Cheers!

My hops were completely aphid free this year, as far as I could tell. Saw only a couple of ladybug larvae while picking, a couple of aphids, a few ants and spiders. Last year they were really crawling with all kinds of insects. Not sure what, if anything, changed, aside from getting them on drip irrigation.

Back