hops and styles for oyl-057

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewth1

Reaction score
I was thinking azaaca and/or el dorado since Omega recommends fruit forward hops. It's not set in stone, there just on sale ATM. But I'm not super sure how much beer variety I could do with a flavor platform like this.

I was thinking styles that could work: a sessiony neipa or fruity blonde/pale ale, fruity wheat, maybe Belgian singles and triples, and maybe an Amber of sorts using homemade Candi syrup.

one request is that it not be bitter drink. I mean I just have to brew something I'd like, but knowing my opinions is nice.

Tbh not really sure and want advice and suggestions. All I know is I'm working w oyl-057 for temp control issues.

"A highly flocculent Norwegian ale strain with an astoundingly wide temperature range and little change in flavor across the range, Hothead[emoji769] is clean enough for both American and English styles. It has a unique honey-like aroma with overripe mango which is complementary to modern, fruity hops. Temperature control is unnecessary with this strain."

I have used Hothead a few times with great success.

Azacca and El Dorado are nice. El Dorado is a bit underwhelmed in aromas and flavours when compared with potent hops like Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, so you'll have to use a bit more. But I do recommend layering fruity hops with a bit of piney/resiny/earthy/danky hops for support. Go heavy on Azacca and El Dorado, but use something like Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, Eureka!, Topaz, Ella, etc. in the background...my 2 cents.

I made a 4.3% Session IPA with El Dorado, Cascade and Crystal hops. Very tasty, citrus forward, slightly fruity, with a hint of candied cherries ( that's El Dorado ).

I also brewed a 6.5% Rye IPA with Falconer's Flight and Eureka! hops. Again, very good. Both have been fermented at around 79F ( 26C ) without any worries about temp. control. Very cool. No off-flavours, fusel alcohols, diacetyl or phenols whatsoever.

I don't know if these norwegian yeast will ever be available as dry yeast, but when they will be, it will be awesome. Just imagine brewing IPAs and similar beers, without any temp. control, even at 90F with no detectable off-flavours. That sounds pretty great.

I mean historically they were stored on a wooden ring or cloth and thrown into fermentation, so I don't see why it couldn't be dried. My fermenter will be kept around a 75-80 ambient until I get temp control so yeah it sounds awesome lol

I knew that about how the yeast was originally stored, as I have read and seen some videos.

I was actually talking more about, IF some big company would be interested in doing so. I can imagine that making available such yeast with dry yeast prices and that can be used extensively in so many different beer styles, which on top of that require no temp. control, would somehow cause some conflicts or something.

But I think Fermentis or Lallemand should make a few Kveik yeast strain available.

Back