Hoppy Stout Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torrefaction

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever brewed a hoppy American stout with stellar results? If so, give me your feedback! I'm thinking a standard oatmeal stout grainbill (MO, RB, Chocolate, C80 and Oats) with 1 oz bittering @ 60 min, 3 oz late hops (15-0 min) and 3 oz dry hops (4-5 days). Shooting for 1.060 OG, 1.015-1.020 FG, around 60 IBU. I have simcoe, amarillo, centennial, columbus, (German) northern brewer, US goldings, falconer's flight, zythos and EKG to choose from (just went shopping :) ), though I'll try to limit this to 3 hops. Thinking of going with WLP095 Burlington Ale to really make the hops come across, though I have WLP002 and WLP005 on hand too. Watcha think?

Just remember RB bitterness really enhances hop ibus, and it can lead to an astringency. I'd be very reserved with it and use blackprintz or midnight wheat to get your color.

My hopped up stout is around 1.060 and 90 ibus. My tip is keep the mash temp low, thick bodied stout doesn't work imho when you want it hop forward.

I love a hoppy American Stout... Nothern Brewer, Columbus and Centennial are my favorite hops in a Stout. But I don't hop it like an IPA... and I don't use any dry hops.

Thanks for the input! Northern Brewer, Columbus and Centennial sounds like a great combo for a stout. I think that's what I'll go with. I'll try to show restraint (compared to my pound o' hops IPA batches)!

I really liked one I threw together (and I am not sure it wasn't a porter)

Magnum (bittering), perle (flavor) and amarillo (aroma) - not what I expected but it worked out and they played well together and didn't come off as over hoppy - just enough and subtle citrus.

Muntons Black(8%) and Briess CherryWood Smoked malt (7%) really rounded things out. I was actually shooting for a big smoke flavor (I should have ready the literature from Briess first who suggested 20-30% of the grain bill for a stout malt) but at 7% is added a very nice undertone to the beer.

Back