Hoppy French Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimboden

Reaction score
Hey all, so I have a starter of WLP072 (french ale) going and I used this yeast not long ago on a BdG, which turned out out really well and true to style, but just not something I like to drink a ton of. So I was thinking of doing a twist on a belgian pale ale or something like a Boulevard #7. Here's what I got:

10.5# 2 Row
4.5# White Wheat Malt
.5# Flaked Corn
.5# Flaked Wheat

.5 oz Calypso 60min
.65 oz Simcoe 20min
.5 oz Amarillo 10min
maybe some amarillo/simcoe dry hopping.

1 pkg French Ale(WLP072), 1L starter

Maybe some brett in secondary!?!
Let me know what you all think!
Cheers!

bump! will be brewing this tomorrow (11/23/13) will update!
Cheers!

I really like WLP072 and have used it in several different styles. I like to use it starting around 62-64 and then raising temp to 70 after about 48 hrs of fermentation to help it finish quickly. If you start warmer, you'll get more esters, but it won't be anything similar to the yeast Boulevard uses for tank 7.

Brewed today a bit later than expected. OG of 1.076 with 5.5gal vol. Pitched at 68. I guess I'm to that point in brewing that I'm bored of all the standard styles so this will be a strange one. I do plan on pitching Brett Brux in secondary. Probably some dry hopping as krausen drops. Will update.
Cheers!

Back