Hoppy Dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellawaits77

Reaction score
Anyone every brewed or tried one of these? I'm brainstorming ideas for my next batch, and this came to mind. I've found only a few recipes online. I know the two don't really go together, but I'm considering brewing one. I don't mean getting the hops to IPA territory IBU, but hoppy like a pale ale. Figure I like dunkelweizens, I like hoppy beers, why not combine 'em?

Input/opinions/experience?

No experience with this particular style but Id say go for it if you like both dunkles and hops. If anything, you have a beer that you wont brew the same again but can say that you ventured to take a stab in the dark and now wont have to question how it would turn out.

I have never done this, but my main thought would be to pick a hop that won't clash with clove-character of the yeast and the chocolate-like malt. To me, this eliminates most big American IPA hops. Instead I would go with hops that are a little off the beaten path. I really love English Pilgrim hops for their earthy/lemony character, and they may play well with the yeast-derived flavors. I also think of something like German Saphir--with it's bright, tangerine qualities--could work nicely. Maybe even try some Australian Galaxy or Topaz as a late-hop/dry-hop? Personally, I would still keep the IBUs low and shoot for something fruity that won't clash with everything else.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and do this eventually. I'm brainstorming using Hallertau, Northern Brewer and Saaz ATM. Of course this could all change. But I'm also torn between using fruity hops!

Keep the opinions coming!

Tentative plan:

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Expected OG: 1.065
Expected FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.43%
Estimated IBU: 50
SRM: 19.87

Malt (all extract)
Wheat LME: 6 lbs
Munich LME: 3.3 lbs

Steeping Grains
Chocolate Malt: 0.5 lbs
Wheat Malt: 0.5 lbs

Hop Schedule
1.0 oz: Hallertau Mittelfruh - 60 min
1.0 oz: Saaz - 15 min
1.0 oz: Ahtanum - 10 min
1.0 oz: Ahtanum - 5 min
1.0 oz: Ahtanum - Dry Hop

Going w/ Ahtanum as I've read about orange flavors playing off a Dunkelweizen quite well, and apparently Ahtanum can give off an orange/tangerine flavor/aroma. It's also lower on the AA scale, so it won't be quite as powerful as other fruity hops, a la Citra and Cascade.

Yeast
Wyeast Weizen 3068

Ideas/suggestions?

Hey man,
Did you brew it?
Im just planning something very similar myself for my homebrew club challenge. Ive got 50g of Columbus at 18%aa that I'm planning to use in a Dunkle and i was wondering what your results where like? Currently my beer smith predictions are running a lot lower on the ibu's than yours but still much higher than the style traditionally offers.
I'd love to know how yours worked out with such a high ibu
Cheers

I'm thinking of doing something similar sometime next month.
Going to brew a White IPA and split it in half (that's why there's wheat flakes in there)
Then a mini-mash with some dark wheat malt, choco wheat, carawheat, Melanoidin and munich.

The Hops I'm still not sure on but I have 1/2 a pound of Auroa which should be similar to northern brewer. So I'm thinking of doing a combination of both. I left out a late hop addition and whirlpool because I want something different than the White IPA but I'm still open to suggestions.

For the yeast I'm going to harvest some from a few Schneider Weizen.

4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 53.4 %
1.30 kg Chateau Wheat Malt (Trigo) (4.0 EBC) Grain 2 15.4 %
1.25 kg Chateau Wheat Munich (15.0 EBC) Grain 3 14.8 %
0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 4 5.9 %
0.25 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5 3.0 %
0.25 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 6 3.0 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 7 3.0 %
0.12 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 8 1.5 %
25.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 9 22.9 IBUs
15.00 g Aurora (Super Styrian Aurora) [8.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 8.4 IBUs

Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.6 %
Bitterness: 31.4 IBUs
Est Color: 42.1 EBC (about 20 SRM)

I'm doing the same thing, equal amounts of wheat and Munich, a bit of dark malt for color (chocolate wheat + a touch of carafa II,) hop bursted and California yeast. I call it American Dunkleweisen!

Back