Hoppy/Coffee/Oak RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewcoopergt

Reaction score
Hey all! Like many around here...thinking of doing a RIS stout really soon so to have it ready during the cold months. I am a HUGE fan of both coffee RIS and really hoppy RIS (Sweetwater Happy Ending, Mikkeller Hop Geek Breakfast). So my plan is to brew this beer, do primary for about a month, then break up the batch and do half with cold-brewed coffee and the other half dry hopped. So i was thinking 10 days in the secondary with the new ingredients, bottle, then let that baby sit for about 5 months. Or should I bottle the coffee portion and let the dry hopped portion sit in its carboy for longer and then dry hop it?

Here are the ingredients:

5lbs. LME
5lbs. Extra LME
1lb. Honey
12oz. Crystal 60L
4oz. Black Patent Malt
8oz. Chocolate Malt
12oz. Black Roasted Barley
4oz. Carapils

2.5oz. Centennial (60 min)
2oz. Cascade (15 min)
1.5oz. Centennial (15 min)
1oz. Cascade (5 min)
1oz. Centennial (5 min)

This is going to be almost a full boil and should bring -

Est OG - 1.096
Est FG - 1.021
ABV - 10%
IBU - 98.5
Color - 43.2 SRM

So what are the thoughts? What should I change in the grain bill?

I also have thought about doing some kind of oak/bourbon addition to it. Suggestions on that?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help yall!

One more question...yeast. I have seen multiple places saying different yeasts can be used. What is your preferred? Irish ale? American ale?

Back