Hoppy brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hoppybrewday

Reaction score
Brew began 6 weeks ago all seemed ok after 4 weeks I transferred beer to new 2nd carboy although beer was still settling out . It's starting to turn darker much like an amber color .should I be worried?how long can beer continue to brew .

What kind of a vessel is it in? A glass carboy? A plastic primary food-grade bucket? Darkening can sometimes be attributed to oxidation, although in my experience, as yeast drops out and the beer becomes less yeast colored/milky (yeast is very light cream color, almost white), the beer appears darker.

After 6 weeks the beer shout be finished. If not, use more or healthier yeast!

4 week plastic food grade carboy then switched it into a glass carboy
Fermentation is done just so much going on haven't had time to bottle then when checking to see if its still ok I notice its turning a bit amber ,I'm just worried I Screwed it up
What do you think , have you ever just let it go a bit too long and if so what was the result

Yeast is pretty stable. Breweries try to hurry up fermentation for the sake of production, but a month-2months in the carboy won't have much if any more flavor impact in my experience. Instead of doing a primary and a secondary, have you thought of just fermenting out completely in a a PET carboy? Like a better bottle?

Are you just looking from the outside of the carboy or is it darker when you take your gravity sample? Its usually much darker when its in the carboy but, when you take your sample you'll see its true color.

:D
Are you just looking from the outside of the carboy or is it darker when you take your gravity sample? Its usually much darker when its in the carboy but, when you take your sample you'll see its true color.

From outside of glass carboy the fist carboy was finishing up yellow on top now it's completely amber and tuning brown ?is there a problem .
Also when going long in brewing upon bottling will you need to add more yeast or priming sugar for carbonation or will it be fine

Once you take your FG sample youll see its lighter than it looks from the carboy. There is so much beer that it makes it look darker than it really is. Dont worry so much good beer is soon to come.
I am curious of the recipe you are making though, please post so i can be more help.

You dont need to add more yeast but you will need to add priming sugar/drops for bottling so its properly carbonated. if you dont have the drops look up how much sugar is needed for the amount of brew you have.

Back