Hoppy Belgian Pale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
What about this recipe, I'm not sure about the IBUs:

Belgian pale ale (hoppy)
OG 1.051 FG 1.014, IBU 22 (BU:GU 0.41) EBC 10.2

Pilsner 73%
Chit Malt 16%
Munich 4%
Sugar 5%
Caramunich 3 2%

Williamette @60', 14 IBU
Calypso @flame out, 8 IBU

Dry hopping 5 days:
30g Nelson Sauvin
30g Motueka

OG look fine, but your FG is kind of high. I would drive it lower to around 1.008-1.010. IBUs are on the low end - If you have had De Ranke's XX and XXX Bitters, that is for me what a Belgian Pale Ale should be. A bolder bitterness and hop presence. I would shoot for at least 35 IBU. The Munich and Caramunich will not add much, so you can easily take them out. If you want some maltiness in there, add 15-20% Munich, the rest Pilsner. If you mash low, your attenuation will be fine and the beer somewhat dry-ish. There's a definite lack of hops in your recipe - add some more kettle hops. The dry hop amounts are fine as is, but know you can go higher a bit.

In my BPAs, I use Czech Saaz at a BU:GU of 0.5-0.6. At this level, the Saaz spice and Belgian phenols play really well together, neither overpowering the other.

If I pushed BUs into the high 30s, I'd want enough Munich for the maltiness to still come through.

Back