Hopping up a beer (poor man's hopback)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I'm interested in obtaining a hop back for the purpose of adding hop aromas to my IPAs.

I know there is the hop rocket from Blichman which is the one I'd like to purchase but then I got to thinking...

Taking a bunch of loose leaf hops and throwing them into the kettle after flameout. then staining them using your false bottom when transferring it into you fermenter. Isn't that the same effect as a hop back?

I was hoping to get feedback on anyone who has tried both methods to see if the hops rocket is actually worth it...

I've been thinking of turning one of my old dip tubes from my keggle conversions into a hop back.....

The one hop rocket I have seen/used connected inline with the kegging system for a last second hop addition to a carbonated finished beer. Not sure that is what you are looking for.

The one hop rocket I have seen/used connected inline with the kegging system for a last second hop addition to a carbonated finished beer. Not sure that is what you are looking for.

That's when you use it as randall

I think some people refer to that as the whirlpool addition, but I'm not sure. What they do is add the hops @ flameout, and instead of cooling right away, you stir the beer with the hops in it while its still hot but not boiling. Then you cool after about 20 or 30 minutes, and transfer to the carboy like normal.

I think some people refer to that as the whirlpool addition, but I'm not sure. What they do is add the hops @ flameout, and instead of cooling right away, you stir the beer with the hops in it while its still hot but not boiling. Then you cool after about 20 or 30 minutes, and transfer to the carboy like normal.

Yeah that's sort of what I want to do, but I also want to hear from people using the hop rocket chime in. Looks like I'm going to have to experiment.

There's almost no wrong way or time to add hops to a beer...all have subtle differences in the results.

Flameout Additions: Adding hops at flameout drop them in at a moment when the wort is still boiling (it SHOULD be anyway, right up until flameout) for the last few minutes as the temperature starts to decrease. Although alpha acid utilization is practically nonexistent without a solid boil according to the calculations, through a mechanism not entirely understood, the flameout additions DO add a fair amount of IBUs, although at a much lower rate than usual additions. By increasing the hop bill dramatically, brewers are using a technique called Hopbursting - adding ALL of their hops at flameout. The result is a smoother bitterness with massive flavor and aroma qualities. By adding while heat is high, risk of grassy and vegetal hints are reduced.

Hot Hopback Additions: With a hopback, the hot wort is drained or (more likely) pumped through a chamber with a compressed mass of hops. The wort spends relatively little time in the chamber, but the pressure forces rapid pickup from the hops. Hopbacks don't generally work well with pellet hops. Hot additions work much like flameout or early whirlpool additions, depending on the temperature of the wort as it passes through the chamber. The main difference is that your wort is moving at higher pressure through hops that are more compressed.

Whirlpool Additions: Adding hops after cooling has begun or after chilling is complete can vary a bit, depending on the warmth of the wort when the hops are added. The hops are able to circulate freely and loose throughout the volume of the wort and are then collected with the break and other debris before separation/transfer to the fermenter. Adds a hint of bitterness, a bit of flavor, and a huge aroma burst. If hops are not of quality, there can be hints of parboiled vegetals that can be unpleasant.

Cold Hopback Additions: With a hopback, the chilled wort is drained or (more likely) pumped through a chamber with a compressed mass of hops. The wort spends relatively little time in the chamber, but the pressure forces rapid pickup from the hops. Hopbacks don't generally work well with pellet hops. Cold additions add significant aromas, and maybe a little flavor, but usually little else. Be careful with your quality of hops, as old, wilted or bruised hops can convey grassy, vegetal tones.

A whirlpool addition is warm enough to isomerize the flavanoid compounds in hops. But because they are highly volatile they will be lost even when a lid is on the brew kettle. The advantage of the hop rocket is it does not let the aromatic flavanoids escape because it is a closed system.

The other plus is it will serve as a filter to keep hot break out of your fermenter. The downside is it is small - limited to 3oz of hops. Not an issue for pale ale but could be a problem for some bigger beers …And you may need a pump to get the wort to pass through the hop rocket and a counter flow chiller … and the price sucks too.

You can make a similar device for under $10 with a Mason jar and fittings attached to the lid.

With that said, I can't wait to buy one !!!

Back