Hopping sour mashed beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikorius

Reaction score
I've decided to do a sour mashed porter. I just haven't decided if this should be a hoppy porter or not. If anyone reading this has experience and a good idea of how a strong malt profile with a light sour bite and bitterness all play together, please let me know. Here's what I've done so fare, and my plans for hopping are at the bottom. I'm including many of the details as I understand them for making a sour mash, so if anyone knows details beyond this or corrections for me, please fill me in.

I made a full mash on Tuesday evening, with a total of about 15 lbs. of grain and 19 qts. water at 152 degrees for 60 minutes. Added 10 qts. of boiling water to bring mash to 170 degrees. Left this overnight and in the morning was just under 120 degrees. Threw in some fresh grain, covered in plastic wrap, and placed in the oven to maintain a safe temperature for a sour mash (over 113 but under 131).

If I want it sour I have to keep it under 120 degrees, but the Lactobacillus delbruckii won't actually die until it reaches 131, just goes kinda dormant. I need to keep it above 113 because Clostridium butyricum which is a common contaminant of a sour mash becomes inactive above 112. I also add the plastic wrap to keep out any oxygen which will inhibit the grown of Acetobacter, which is aerobic. This is all about flavor contributions. I am going for the tart taste one gets out of L. delbruckii producing lactic acid versus the hot garbage taste and smell you would get from C. butyricum producing butyric acid or the vinegary smell you would get off Acetobacter producing acetic acid. All of these bacterium will die when I boil the hell out of this thing for 90 minutes. I always boil my full grain batches for 90 minutes to get rid of any dimethyl sulfide (DMS) that tends to show up with mashing light grains.

I plan to give this 48 hours to sour, and then throw it on the stove for the boil on friday morning. My recipe is as follows. This was originally a recipe that didn't involve making a sour mash, but the sour mash has happened. I'm considering dropping out the 60 minute hop addition, but will likely make that decision in the moment as I've boiled it for a little while and then can determine how much sour there is already to balance the malt.

Mash Ingredients
13 lb American - Pale 2-Row (86%)
12 oz German - De-Husked Carafa III (5%)
8 oz German - Carapils (3.3%)
8 oz American - Caramel 120L (3.3%)
6 oz American - Caramel 40L (2.5%)
15.13 lb Total

Boil Ingredients
1 oz Chinook Pellet - 60 min (45.63 IBU)
1 oz Chinook Pellet - 30 min (35.07 IBU)
.5 tsp wyeast nutrient - 10 min
1 tsp irish moss - 10 min
1 oz Amarillo Pellet - 0 min
1 oz Simcoe Pellet - 0 min
1 oz Amarillo Pellet - Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Simcoe Pellet - Dry Hop 5 days

Fermentation -
White Labs - Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast WLP028 @ 68 degrees

i've never did one to give you examples of flavors, but i am working on one now. i did ten gallons of a rye ipa over the weekend. one carboy i pitched wyeast 1332. the second carboy picmed up a wild yeast and is chugging away. i also am currently doing a sour mash for this beer. if the wild yeast half tastes okay, i am planning to blend everything together. If the wild batch tastes bad, i am just blending the sour mash and the ipa with 1332. the recipe i made has about 85ish ibu's of US "C" hops. I will let you know how the experiment turns out.

I made a Saison this way and it was absolutely delicious. The taste of the soured porter wort before fermentation was very interesting. I am excited to see what it will taste like, and will keep you posted.

Back