hopping cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatciderguy

Reaction score
If there's already a post on this, please refer me. Otherwise, has anyone hopped their cider before? I'm kinda curious how that would affect the flavor/I have no idea what it would do to the cider.
If you've tried it, or know anything about it, please post your results! Thanks

I'm not sure about directly hopping cider (which I assume would have to be dry hopping), but there is a recipe for mixing mostly cider with a small amount of beer wort which has been lightly hopped:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

I've made a bit of this and it's quite tasty, however the combination of the malt and cider is most prevalent as the hop presence is very low. I am also curious how a truly noticeably hopped cider would be.

Hmm he specifically mentioned that too much hops was too bitter. I've never brewed beer, so I'm not overly familiar with how increasing hops directly affects flavor, so how would putting in more than 0.5oz of hops make it too bitter to drink?

Well I've made much more beer than cider. One thing to consider is that getting bitterness from hops generally requires boiling, which I understand is something you do not want to do with cider.

I think dry hoping might be interesting. That's soaking hops in the liquid for a set amount of time after primary fermentation is complete (generally just before bottling). This really only imparts hop aroma on the product

As far as your question, the bitterness from hops being used during a boil is proportional to the amount of hops used (although I am sure there is some super bitter maximum of what is achievable). In that Graff recipe the hops are boiled in a small batch of beer wort, bypassing the don't-boil-cider rule.

Hey... Just whipped up the Graff... Used some Crystal and Hops in my boil. Cooled then added juice.. Just stuck it in carboy Sunday. Was looking for something different tasting. Think I shocked my yeast though. Not much happening after 4 days.. Gonna ree-pitch another packet.. I'll give ya some info after a couple of weeks. Too early but looking forward to this one after Christmas!!!

I've got some graf cold crashing right now, ready to be bottled. It is delicious stuff, but I have never exceeded the recommended hopping rate nor attempted any dry hopping. I might think about setting aside a gallon to dry hop and bottle for testing.

I'll do some hop variety research this weekend and see if I find any clear winners for the task.

edit: commercially produced dry-hopped cider made with Cascade hops: http://www.woodchuck.com/blog/cider-makers-notebook-woodchuck-dry-hop/

Latest posts

Back