Hopped LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I bought some LME on sale but just realized two cans are 'hopped'. The label says it has "between 17-31 ibu's". The cans were close to expiration date (hence the 'sale') so my question is how much will this affect the planned ibu's for a saison I'm brewing.

I'm using .5oz of northern brewer (9.6%AA) at 60 minutes, then 1oz of cascade (5.6%AA) at 10 minutes. Estimated ibu's are 22.

Will that additional hopped LME be enough to take the beer off style for bitterness? It's only 30% of the fermentables.

Thanks for the help!

I would maybe use the bottom end of the IBUs and otherwise hop the hell out of it. My APAs are hopped to IPA levels, and my IPAs are 100+ IBUs, YMMV.

I would maybe use the bottom end of the IBUs and otherwise hop the hell out of it. My APAs are hopped to IPA levels, and my IPAs are 100+ IBUs, YMMV.

So I would add the lower end ibu estimate of the LME onto the ibu's derived from the hop additions to get the final number? If so I need to adjust my hop schedule before I brew.

Saisons are around 30 IBUs on the high end. id save this extract for an APA or IPA, and get some normal stuff for the saison. do you really want to make a sub par, overly bitter beer just because you got something on sale?

Saisons are around 30 IBUs on the high end. id save this extract for an APA or IPA, and get some normal stuff for the saison. do you really want to make a sub par, overly bitter beer just because you got something on sale?

No, I don't. I will instead use Belgian pale malt in place of the LME. Thanks for the perspective, ricshayne.

No, I don't. I will instead use Belgian pale malt in place of the LME. Thanks for the perspective, ricshayne.

Not to familiar with extracts so my apologies if it is the same thing, but I would roll with a Pilsner extract instead. Pilsner is the classic saison grain.

Latest posts

Back