HopBlocker or Hop Spider w/Boilermaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Picked up a Boilermaker to replace my keggle. I like how the HopBlocker is designed to work with the Boilermaker, but I've had good success with the SS Hop Spider in my old keggle.

I do also like how the HopBlocker wont restrict the hops during the boil. My main concerns are how well it does/doesnt work when draining, and how much it will filter out since I use a plate chiller. I dont want to have my chiller getting plugged while I'm recirculating the batch.

Anyone use the Boilermaker/HopBlocker combo with a plate chiller with success?

I recently switched from a spider to the hop blocker on a boilermaker and have one successful batch completed, chilled with a plate chiller. No issue at all. Hops were well contained and this includes the hot break as well.

I had one issue after the next with my spider including once when the bag broke open and clogged up the whole works.

Minor downside is clean up of the blocker is necessary but not a deal breaker for me.

The fact they offer a set up specific for the boilermaker was pretty good deal for me as well. I like things that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have the stainlessbrewing.com spider and really liked it, but it wont fit in my 30 gallon boilermaker without some modifications.

Thats good to hear that you were able to use it with the chiller with no issues. Did you recirculate your batch, or just go direct to kettle to fermenter?

Also, did you follow the process outlined in the HopBlocker directions, or did you do something else?

Thanks for the info!

I highly recommend the hopblocker as opposed to a spider. My ipa's were much more pronounced with free floating. The spider I used tended to create a glop in the strainer bag that didn't utilize the hops fully.

Hop stopper. Sorry about that. I have the hop stopper not the hop blocker. Works great. And I will agree that the free floating hops seem to do better.

I highly recommend the hopblocker as opposed to a spider. My ipa's were much more pronounced with free floating. The spider I used tended to create a glop in the strainer bag that didn't utilize the hops fully.

I've noticed the same in mine. I stir mine pretty often to try and keep them from compacting.

Riored4v,
The stopper I got came from innovative homebrew solutions. And they do have a model specific for boilermakers. My first use was pretty much just like what they show in the pics/video.

I recently came across something similar from jay bird thru norcalbrewing that might be worth a look. But I can't say if it works any better as I haven't used or read about it.

Riored4v,
The stopper I got came from innovative homebrew solutions. And they do have a model specific for boilermakers. My first use was pretty much just like what they show in the pics/video.

I recently came across something similar from jay bird thru norcalbrewing that might be worth a look. But I can't say if it works any better as I haven't used or read about it.

This the one from norcal you're thinking of?
http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.c...orcal brewing supply&__utmv=-&__utmk=42514469

I just checked out the one on Innovative Homebrew. I'm liking that its specific for the Boilermaker and the price is similar to the HopStopper. Also seems like it would work better since you dont have to adjust it.

If you order specific for the Blichmann's, does it just pop off with dip tube for cleaning?

Decided to order up the Hop Stopper. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the help:mug:

Nice. I think you will like it. And to answer your prior question, yes, it pulls right out of the kettle at the dip tube.

Back