Hop utilization for Whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I've read a ton on whirlpooling but not sure what utilization percentage to use and what to expect as for as IBU contribution.

BF adds ALOT of IBU's if I do a 15 min hop stand with 1oz of Nelson at 160 degrees using 8% utilization. Even at 8% it adds over 100 IBU's. I want to be under 40. What is even more confusing to me is if I add all hops at 0 min there is no IBU contribution but the temp is still over 200. But a WP at 160 adds significant IBU's.

I'm not looking for a hop bomb- just something flavorful and great aroma. The last time I did a WP I only used 2% utilization and the IBU contribution was way more than what BF predicted.

I would appreciate some insight on how to properly calculate IBU's using WP. I know its only an estimate but I would like to be close to my target.

I've read a ton on whirlpooling but not sure what utilization percentage to use and what to expect as for as IBU contribution.

BF adds ALOT of IBU's if I do a 15 min hop stand with 1oz of Nelson at 160 degrees using 8% utilization. Even at 8% it adds over 100 IBU's. I want to be under 40. What is even more confusing to me is if I add all hops at 0 min there is no IBU contribution but the temp is still over 200. But a WP at 160 adds significant IBU's.

I'm not looking for a hop bomb- just something flavorful and great aroma. The last time I did a WP I only used 2% utilization and the IBU contribution was way more than what BF predicted.

I would appreciate some insight on how to properly calculate IBU's using WP. I know its only an estimate but I would like to be close to my target.

Something sounds off. I use BF and do a whirlpool addition on several recipes. I just double checked one of them, and a 15 minute whirlpool at 10% utilization gives an additional 30 IBUs with 2 ounces of 12% AA mosaic hops.

The temp you specify in BF for the whirlpool addition has no impact on the calculation of IBUs. Only the AA and % utilization inputs are used.

Can you double check your inputs?

Something sounds off. I use BF and do a whirlpool addition on several recipes. I just double checked one of them, and a 15 minute whirlpool at 10% utilization gives an additional 30 IBUs with 2 ounces of 12% AA mosaic hops.

The temp you specify in BF for the whirlpool addition has no impact on the calculation of IBUs. Only the AA and % utilization inputs are used.

Can you double check your inputs?

Just double checked the inputs. For 1.4 oz for 15 min @ 10% utilization, the total for the WP is 104 IBU's.

Maybe this will help, in my experience the IBU contribution of hot WP (>185F) is about 50% of boiling. IE 30m WP equals 15m boil/60m WP equals 30m boil. I am old school Promash and not really familiar with rates. Cooler WP definitely reduces the IBU contribution (maybe 25% of boil?) but I am not fan of the technique and have only done it a once/twice.

I think a lot of people are too hung up on hitting certain IBUs. Whirlpooling is still an unkown and very variable process. I think BS is set up for whirlpooling at 196F? Once you go below that who knows how many IBUs you're adding.

There is already more info coming out that dry hopping also adds bitterness. Check out Scott Janish's blog. Really cool info.

I would just worry about your 60 min addition, and either whirlpool below 175F where they say iso stops, even though we're starting to understand it might not quite be that simple, or some trial and error, along with your pallette can sometimes be better than worrying about hitting a specific number.

Also, remember that a lot of breweries list theoretical IBUs. So something may be 200 IBU from whirlpooling, but the reality from the lab data shows 75 IBU.

I call 15min of whirlpooling/hopstanding/whatever at 180F equal to a 5min boil, and my no-chill 140F hop additions equal to a 2min boil. Works well enough for me.

Just double checked the inputs. For 1.4 oz for 15 min @ 10% utilization, the total for the WP is 104 IBU's.

Do you mean the total IBU's from all hops? I just used BF today to do exactly what you described and I was seeing under 30 IBU for that one whirlpool addition but my total IBU's was over 100.

23.83 IBU from whirlpool in a OG of 1.061
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=359364&stc=1&d=1466540668

HOP.JPG

I tried copying and pasting from BF but I am unable to do so. Not sure why my calculations show 104 ibu's. I'm going to try inputting into Beersmith and see what it shows.

Beersmith shows the same as BF at 104 ibu's. I just don't get it.
in BS if I reduce NS to .75 oz and WP for 15 min, IBU's come in at 29.
Maybe I'll go this route and see what happens.

What is the batch size? The only way I can get 104 IBU from the one WP is a 1gal batch. The one I showed was a 5.5gal which I should have said as well.

Take a screenshot and upload that.

What is the batch size? The only way I can get 104 IBU from the one WP is a 1gal batch. The one I showed was a 5.5gal which I should have said as well.

Take a screenshot and upload that.

Test batch is 1 gal. Should have said that. I've don't 1 gallon batches before with a WP and didn't get that high IBU.
I'm going to cut the wp amount in half and go with that.
BTW, I tried to do a screen shot but I was unable to post it.

Back