Hop utilization at knockout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram5ey

Reaction score
I recently incorporated a pump for whirlpool chilling into my system. I was wondering about knockout hop utilization if the pump is running. Does circulating the 210 - 200F wort through the pump create more bitterness than if it was just sitting static? I didn't know if part of hop utilization was the movement and heat created during the boil that might be similar when running wort through a pump and doing that for a 20-30 hop stand might be just like boiling.

Thoughts?

Way to deep think!

I don't have the answer to your main question (someone here will), but my concern is the pump you will be using. Most heads are not built to accept 200+ temps... I like your thinking out of the box, just want to make sure you don't ruin your equipment. You need this> March Hi-Temp Pump

Looking forward to the rest of the answer :)

I always wait until the temp reaches 180ish before i chill through my pump into the plate chiller, keeping hops at so called 0 will not add as much bitterness but more aroma, so turning off the flame/power, wirlpool until 180 gives more hop aroma and lets your pump work full time, my chugger does't like 200 at all, disengages constantly

Back