Hop suggestions for a Trappist Single (Westmalle Strain)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
I've been making a Trappist Single for a few years, and it's my year-round beer. I always like it, but I don't feel like I've ever hit on a hop that is quite right. It's the one factor I'm still playing with. I'm curious if anyone has found a hop that works well with this strain?

I've tried:
Santiam
Spalter Select
Hallertau Mittelfruh
Saaz
Crystal
Saphir

Of those Santiam and Crystal have been my favorites.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Styrian Golding? Definitely traditional for Belgians.

I have used those in my Dubbels, but I was afraid it would be too earthy for such an all-pilsner beer. Have you tried it in an all-pilsner beer? I'm going to have to try it now because you're right that's very traditional.

I can't recall if I've used them in an all-pils beer, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so! Would either use the as a finishing hop in conjunction with some other noble for bittering, or just by themselves.

Here's a recomendation from a Craft Beer and Brewing article:

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-trappist-single/
"Hops are central to this beer, and as a result we are wise to choose carefully. Normally I’m in the “bitter with anything” camp, since flavor contributions will be negligible in a 60-minute addition, but I wasn’t going to take any chances with my emulating-my-favorite-beer-ever recipe! I’ve always stuck with Hallertau in bittering (19 IBUs’ worth), an ounce of Hallertau at 15 minutes, and an ounce of Styrian Goldings at five minutes. I’ve tried blending the two and adding throughout, but believe it or not I noticed a distinct difference – it could have been an age effect, but the competition scores bore out the preference, too, and so I keep them as distinct additions. That should yield about 32 IBUs."

I've got Hallertau and Styrian Goldings on hand. I'll blend those next, and I'll grab Sterling for the brew after that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back