Hop storage with ziploc vacum sealer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffinman

Reaction score
I picked up a food sealer at Walmart for $49 putting it to the test today. Breaking the 1 pound bags of hops I got into smaller potions to freeze. I made them 2 oz. each and once I got the hang of making the bags the right size it went pretty smooth. It is a Ziploc v203 and it will do jars also.

20161015_105726.jpg

20161015_110203.jpg

20161015_111058.jpg

The bags came out of a roll 8" by 20' you can cut them to make the bag any size you want by sealing the ends. I made these 4" by 6". They have different bag sizes you can buy also. I think food saver bags will work too.

I have the Food Saver model but never thought of cutting a bag in half lengthwise to make smaller bags. LOL Good idea.

Out of interest, how much do the bags cost that you split a lb of hops into? These bags are not particularly cheap.

I usually wait until I use some hops from a bag, and then re-seal in a big bag, and then cut down and re-seal the same bag as I use the hops. This is more for flavor hops where you use 4+ oz a brew, rather than bittering hops where you might only use 1 oz a time.

Might be more economical to buy the bags by the roll, then pack the whole thing in one bag, but leave extra space.

That way, when you need it, you can pull out some hops, and re-seal the same bag.

Less wasted plastic, less $$ spent on the bags = more $$ for beer ingredients!

Food saver occasionally puts their 6 pack of rolls on sale. Best value and I hit a BOGO free offer.

I have the food saver and second doing big bags and just resealing them after you take out what you want. Would be cool to have measured bags for convenience though. Side note; I stopped brewing for about 5 years (started up again about a year ago) and when I stopped I gave my buddy all my hops and grain, including some vacuum sealed bags I had made with my food saver. Somehow one of the bags got lost in the back of his fridge and after I started brewimg again I was at his house looking through his hops (about 20# total in his fridge) and I found my bag with my handwritting on it! I asked if I could have it back and did a one hop beer. Came out great! I couldn't believe that my 5 year old hops were still able to add bitterness and aroma. I'm 100% sold on vacuum sealing :)

I use mason jars and my food saver. That really only works well with pellets though. I toss in an oxygen absorbing packet with it. No matter the method, it's nice to get the most out of bulk hop purchases with these sealers.

I find it's easier to just cut one longish bag, put the whole pound in it. When I need hops, I cut a corner off, dump out what I need, and reseal the same bag. Been doing this for years and it works well. If some hop dust gets into the seal, just give it a second seal. Sorting into 2oz bags isn't really useful since I use all different amounts, and I'd just end up with partial bags I'd need to reseal anyway.

I buy cheap bags here ( I get the 8" x 50' x 6 rolls case): http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/8-x-50-ULTRA-Jumbo-Rolls_c294.htm

I have too many different types of hops to be cutting them into ounce sizes. I also make a bag a little bigger than needed, use what I need then reseal it. I also save bags when empty to use with new hop purchases.

I have the same vacuum sealer.. mine just failed on me haven't tried it in a while but it no longer seals after vacuum automatically. Time for a warranty.

Latest posts

Back