Hop storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I just got some hops in the mail and have a question about storing them. 1/2 of the hops I received came vacuum sealed, the rest are from YCH Hops and appear loose in the bags. I know that vacuum sealed, frozen and out of light is best but I'm not sure what to do with the YCH hops. Should I take them out of the bag and vacuum seal them? Throw them in the freezer the way they are?

Thanks guys.

If they're not vacuum-sealed, obviously the best thing to do is use them ASAP. And not buy hops that are not nitro-infused/vacuum sealed.

Hey HBT, I just got some hops in the mail and have a question about storing them. 1/2 of the hops I received came vacuum sealed, the rest are from YCH Hops and appear loose in the bags. I know that vacuum sealed, frozen and out of light is best but I'm not sure what to do with the YCH hops. Should I take them out of the bag and vacuum seal them? Throw them in the freezer the way they are?

Thanks guys.

If you have easy access to a vacuum sealer, then use it, even if it's better late than never.

Just generally note that if these are last season's hops then you'll need to bump up quantities because there will be significant loss of alpha and other compounds, even if they have been stored cool.

If you have easy access to a vacuum sealer, then use it, even if it's better late than never.

Just generally note that if these are last season's hops then you'll need to bump up quantities because there will be significant loss of alpha and other compounds, even if they have been stored cool.

Thanks! I'll seal them up now.

If they're not vacuum-sealed, obviously the best thing to do is use them ASAP. And not buy hops that are not nitro-infused/vacuum sealed.

Thanks, I didn't realize that they would come that way. Maybe there is nitrogen in the pouch? Not sure, either way I'll be moving them to a vacuumed sealed bag. I'm not sure if all YCHHops come that way?

If they are nitro flushed (I think YCH hops are), then they should be OK loose in the bag. The one thing to check is if the bag is holding its seal. If you squeeze it and it doesn't compress or release gas, then it is holding its seal. If it slowly gets smaller, then there is a leak and you should vacuum seal them as soon as you can.

When buying hops a few days before brew day do people typically go through the trouble of sealing them and freezing them for a few days or just let them ride in the fridge until brew day?

When buying hops a few days before brew day do people typically go through the trouble of sealing them and freezing them for a few days or just let them ride in the fridge until brew day?

Let it ride

Thanks guys.

Hop bags from YCH are nitrogen flushed. Just throw them in the freezer.

source:https://ychhops.com/connect/news/blog/new-home-brew-packaging

Bottom of 4th paragraph:
"Each YCH HOPS home brew product is packaged in light-resistant, nitrogen flushed packaging to minimize oxidation and ensure an ideal storage environment. This allows all YCH HOPS home brew products to have a 3 year shelf life under cold storage conditions (ideally near freezing)."

Hop bags from YCH are nitrogen flushed. Just throw them in the freezer.

source:https://ychhops.com/connect/news/blog/new-home-brew-packaging

Bottom of 4th paragraph:
"Each YCH HOPS home brew product is packaged in light-resistant, nitrogen flushed packaging to minimize oxidation and ensure an ideal storage environment. This allows all YCH HOPS home brew products to have a 3 year shelf life under cold storage conditions (ideally near freezing)."

Thanks man! Brewer friend of mine just said the same thing, glad I didn't cut them open. Just learned something :).

It really only matters for bittering additions. The hops may lose one or two percent over a year. I tend to not worry about it. The biggest thing for me is only buying what I can use within a year.

It really only matters for bittering additions. The hops may lose one or two percent over a year. I tend to not worry about it.

It's way more than that - look up Hop Storage Index - a poorly-storing hop like Cascade can lose up to half its alpha potential within six months if kept at room temperature. And then it will halve again in the next six months... Keeping it cool can help but you still lose significant amounts on alpha even when cool. I've not seen anything conclusive, but I've always worked on the principle that there's nothing special about the alpha acids, and the aroma compounds will decline at a similar rate if not faster in some cases. You do notice it in commercial beers at this time of year, the more "artisanal" ones don't adjust for variable inputs and tend not to be so good until the new hops arrive.

It's way more than that - look up Hop Storage Index - a poorly-storing hop like Cascade can lose up to half its alpha potential within six months if kept at room temperature. And then it will halve again in the next six months... Keeping it cool can help but you still lose significant amounts on alpha even when cool. I've not seen anything conclusive, but I've always worked on the principle that there's nothing special about the alpha acids, and the aroma compounds will decline at a similar rate if not faster in some cases. You do notice it in commercial beers at this time of year, the more "artisanal" ones don't adjust for variable inputs and tend not to be so good until the new hops arrive.

Certainly store them in the freezer and packaged well. I guess my main point is not to fret too much over it. If I was brewing for competition I may adjust recipes but realistically it is fine for home consumption. But I'm one to use 5-10 year old cinnamon stored in the freezer...

Latest posts

Back