Lowes Igloo Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kempshark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used the blue and white 10 gallon Igloo drink cooler from Lowes instead of the normal red/yellow Igloo? I know the lid looks like it is a little different design, but I don't know if there are any differences other than that. The reason I am asking is because the one at Lowes is remarkably cheaper than the red/yellow one you see everywhere else. I'm just starting to set up a system for my first brew (all grain), and don't want to make any stupid mistakes on my first purchases........I'm sure I will make enough stupid, rookie mistakes while brewing!! :)

I have a blue/white 5 gallon igloo cooler that was given to me by a coworker.

I have no idea where he got it, but it works just fine.

I have done several batches in it and had absolutely no problems, as a matter of fact I have been consistently in the 75% efficiency on last 4 batches.

I believe it is about $47....that's considerably cheaper than I see the red/yellow one other places. Are you guys using the 5 gallon cooler for 5 gallon batches? I was thinking it would be better to go with the 10 gallon even though I am planning on doing 5 gallon batches at the most. I might be doing some 2.5 gallon batches since I am the only one drinking beer at my house.

As I mentioned, I am a complete noobie to this, so any advice would be well received. I plan on going with a 10 or 16 gallon Bayou Classic brew kettle (with a spigot) and either a Bayou Classic banjo burner or a Blichmann......possibly also a cheaper kettle (or another Bayou Classic) for the HLT with a cheaper burner since I will only need to achieve/maintain 170 degrees on that one and won't need to achieve a rolling boil. Planning on building a cheap, wooden three tier system to start off with. Comments or advice??

I use mine for average gravity 5 gal batches.

Anything over 1.060 start gravity is too much grain for the 5 gal cooler.
So eventually you will be like me and be looking for 10 gal cooler (or larger)

That's the cooler I use. I did my own conversion: male to male fitting with a ball valve one on side and a washer and nut on the other. I loose about 1-2 deg during a 1 hour mash. I'm happy with it.

Yeah. I just emailed them and they said the fittings are plastic. I don't like that.

I use mine for average gravity 5 gal batches.

Anything over 1.060 start gravity is too much grain for the 5 gal cooler.
So eventually you will be like me and be looking for 10 gal cooler (or larger)

Me too. If I want a bigger beer I just throw in some DME, but for most beers the 5g is good enough, and I've never had a problem with my Lowes cooler.

Has anyone used the blue and white 10 gallon Igloo drink cooler from Lowes instead of the normal red/yellow Igloo? I know the lid looks like it is a little different design, but I don't know if there are any differences other than that. The reason I am asking is because the one at Lowes is remarkably cheaper than the red/yellow one you see everywhere else. I'm just starting to set up a system for my first brew (all grain), and don't want to make any stupid mistakes on my first purchases........I'm sure I will make enough stupid, rookie mistakes while brewing!! :)

I have the blue and white 5 gallon version and the yellow/red 10 gallon version.
There is a difference between the blu/white and the yellow/red coolers. the yellow/red coolers are industrial grade and are heat rated as well. where as the blue/white coolers are not industrial grade and are not heat rated. From experience they both hold temps well but the yellow/red coolers do hold temps better

Hmm, sounds like I may as well just go with the industrial grade red/yellow one. It's not that big of a price difference in the long run.

and if you happen to know someone that works for igloo you can get the industrial grade 10 gal coolers anywhere from $0 - $24 a piece. I got 2 10 gal industrial coolers for free

and if you happen to know someone that works for igloo you can get the industrial grade 10 gal coolers anywhere from $0 - $24 a piece. I got 2 10 gal industrial coolers for free

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who works for Igloo.....really wish I knew someone that worked at Blichmann or Bayou Classic so I could pick up a brew kettle really cheap!!! and maybe a burner too!! :D

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who works for Igloo.....really wish I knew someone that worked at Blichmann or Bayou Classic so I could pick up a brew kettle really cheap!!! and maybe a burner too!! :D

you and me both

I did a 2 hour mash on accident the other day and I only lost a degree in my blue tun.

As for buying a kit to build it, you are better off looking at one of the tutorials on here and following suit. I saved a bunch of money this way, and my tun was built in under an hour.

Back