Hop Stands

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
how does everyone adjust there bitterness with 15-20 min whirlpool/hop stands before beginning to cool, was thinking moving all my times up 15min for bitterness calculation in beersmith (eg. 15min addition input in beersmith as 30min and so on for all additions 0min input as 15min). the reason I ask about this is the last couple IPA's with hops stands came out wayyy to bitter. What is everyone else doing to get a predictable bitterness level, i want lots of flavor and aroma without the over the top bitterness

Thanks,
Bells

Coo,l dont really like the new beersmith though still using the 1.x version. Should i bump all additions up by 10min for bitterness calculation (cause they are all in there for that much more time) or just the 0min additions?

could someone shed a little more light on this next beer i am attempting a session ipa with lots of late and 0 min additions dont want it to be too bitter which is going to be a challenge in it self with such a low gravity beer

could someone shed a little more light on this next beer i am attempting a session ipa with lots of late and 0 min additions dont want it to be too bitter which is going to be a challenge in it self with such a low gravity beer

as an experiment i eliminated the 60 minute addition and moved all of my hop additions to flameout which worked well. that is kind of extreme but eliminating the 60 min and starting at 30 or 20 min then a flameout hop stand will give you a very good aroma and flavor without extreme bitterness. it takes experimentation.

That was my plan to start at 20min just wanted an idea on how to gauge the bitterness

That was my plan to start at 20min just wanted an idea on how to gauge the bitterness

one thing that is clear to me is that 30 min is the extreme limit for a hop stand on my system. most of the hops i use are 8-13% AA and i use 3-5 oz for the hop stand.

I don't make any adjustment. I've yet to see the data that says it makes a difference.

The temperature of the hop stand may make a difference, and how is that factored into it?

I cool my wort to 170 F within a couple of minutes of flame out and then add my hops. I leave it there for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then cool. I can't say I have noticed any obvious increase in IBUs. I've only done it a few times so far, so I guess the jury is still out on it.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best way to do a hop stand is. This is my process right now. I doubt I have the best method, and it will change with experience.

I don't make any adjustment. I've yet to see the data that says it makes a difference.

The temperature of the hop stand may make a difference, and how is that factored into it?

I cool my wort to 170 F within a couple of minutes of flame out and then add my hops. I leave it there for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then cool. I can't say I have noticed any obvious increase in IBUs. I've only done it a few times so far, so I guess the jury is still out on it.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best way to do a hop stand is. This is my process right now. I doubt I have the best method, and it will change with experience.

interesting. i start my hopstand right at flameout and even without any hops before flame out going beyond 30 minutes makes the beer way too bitter. i'll try cooling the wort down before adding the hops to see how that works.

How are the pros doin it without getting to bitter when it takes quite a bit longer to cool hundreds of gallons. I'm thinking bitterness calculated from start of boil until you get down into the 180s or what ever the temp isomerization stops

How are the pros doin it without getting to bitter when it takes quite a bit longer to cool hundreds of gallons. I'm thinking bitterness calculated from start of boil until you get down into the 180s or what ever the temp isomerization stops

it may be a different story when you are brewing hundreds of gallons at a time but i'm not sure.

Back