Hop Stand and Hop Back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at a recipe that called for a 30 minute hop stand and then using a hopback. If I did a 30 minute hop stand then wouldnt the wort temp be to cool for the hopback to be effective?

Does it tell you what temperature to do the hopstand at? If you are just doing it at whirlpool temperatures, you will still have ~180F wort after 30 minutes, which is plenty hot for running through the hop back.

Really, I would say the hopback is redundant though. I personally would just run all of those during your hopstand. Maybe do the first addition at 180F, then the second at 160F. Hold both for 20-30 minutes.

ok, found this in the recipe comments:

Chilling before the hop-stand certainly is an option, but I haven't played with it. I'm sure I get some isomerization, but I haven't noticed an overly bitter character in more delicate beers such as the Citra/Amarillo Wheat. I like to give the first dose of hops exposure to the near-boiling wort, but by the time I am ready to chill it is down to ~180-185 F. This gives the hops in my hop back exposure to slightly cooler wort, which should extract a different set of compound (and with the immediate chilling, hopefully preserve the most heat sensitive).

Guess that explains it.

Back