Hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
I recently built my own hop spider with just some lag bolts and PVC. But when I tested it out the PVC warped and gave off a burnt plastic smell. I went to ace to find something a little more heat resistant but the only thing that looked good as a possible sub was galvanized duct pieces. Does anyone know if that would be ok to sit over a boiling pot? Any risk off contamination or off flavors a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on the InSinkErator flange. A bit spendy, but it will last forever, and won't rust or melt.

HopSpider_zps2ef0f679.jpg

I used a big SS hose clamp to attach the bag.

+1 on the InSinkErator flange. A bit spendy, but it will last forever, and won't rust or melt.

HopSpider_zps2ef0f679.jpg

I used a big SS hose clamp to attach the bag.

What does something like that cost? I never thought of that but it's exactly the kinda piece I was looking for.

What does something like that cost? I never thought of that but it's exactly the kinda piece I was looking for.

I think I paid around $12 for the flange, then three 5/16" x 8" galvanized carriage bolts with 2 nuts each, and a SS hose clamp. I don't recall prices for all the components but think it was around $20-25 total, not counting the hops bag. You can get all that stuff at a home center store.

What I like is that I can insert a long spoon in there and stir the hops during the boil. No more tying bags to the side of the kettle.

I think I paid around $12 for the flange, then three 5/16" x 8" galvanized carriage bolts with 2 nuts each, and a SS hose clamp. I don't recall prices for all the components but think it was around $20-25 total, not counting the hops bag. You can get all that stuff at a home center store.

What I like is that I can insert a long spoon in there and stir the hops during the boil. No more tying bags to the side of the kettle.

Cool thanks, I'll definitely pick one up. I have everything else just wanna replace the PVC. What kinda bag are you using? I just got a 5 gallon paint straining bag.

Cool thanks, I'll definitely pick one up. I have everything else just wanna replace the PVC. What kinda bag are you using? I just got a 5 gallon paint straining bag.

A 5-gallon strainer bag would be way too big for hops. I use a fine-mesh 8" x 9" bag from Midwest. I think the InSinkErator flange is 3.5" diameter.

+1 on insinkerator flange, $15 at Lowes. But I don't know where that 3-legged idea came from -- it's totally unnecessary. You already have a SS hose clamp, so may as well use that (or get 1 more) and just insert a metal hook to hang it on the side of the pot. Much easier, no disadvantages; in fact it's less in the way.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I got a stainless steel utensil holder from bed bath and beyond. It cost $9.99, all I had to do was cut the bottom off.
Link

Back