hop spider nylon paint strainer bag -- okay to touch bottom of kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylrooster

Reaction score
So I made a diy hop spider and I got the 5 gallon size nylon paint strainer bag. The nylon bag physically touches the bottom of the kettle...is this okay? Can the bag handle the heat on the bottom of the kettle? If it helps, I'm using a sq14 propane burner for my heating source.

Also the paint strainer bags are "trimaco super tuff"

I did research this, but there seems to be some conflicting answers, do I'd love for someone who has personally done this to reassure me that they won't melt

If it works for you guys thats great but, just be on the safe side and to free your mind of worry it is fairly easy to trim the bag with a pair of scissors.

If it works for you guys thats great but, just be on the safe side and to free your mind of worry it is fairly easy to trim the bag with a pair of scissors.

That's what I was planning in originally doing. My logic was that the larger bag means the more freedom the hops will have in the boil and the greater utilization I'll get?

Can you update us on this? Have you used the full bag over the last few months without issue? I was wondering the same thing, I like the idea of using the 5 gallon bag so the hops can move around more. :mug:

Can you update us on this? Have you used the full bag over the last few months without issue? I was wondering the same thing, I like the idea of using the 5 gallon bag so the hops can move around more. :mug:

I can confirm that I used the 5 pound bag I referenced above for a full 60 minute boil (I had first wort hops, so it was literally in there the entire time of the boil) and it worked perfectly without issue. I thoroughly checked the bag after the boil and it looked perfectly fine.

Cheers,:tank:

Back