hop schedule - when to add ..???..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 3 hop additions.
1 at 60min; 1 at 30min; and 1 at 15min.

Are the times a count up or count down time? Sounds silly for me to ask but is there a standard for adding hops and times?

when you extend a 60min boil to 30 min - is the first 30min just done then the addition schedule starts?

Thanks!

When the boil starts set a timer for 60 minutes (counting down to 0) and add the 60 minute hop addition. When the timer gets to 30 add the 30 minute addition. When it gets to 15 add the 15 minute addition.

Hope that helps!

when you extend a 60min boil to 30 min - is the first 30min just done then the addition schedule starts?

Are you referring to doing a 90-minute boil? A 60-minute boil or anything more on hops is going to give all bitterness and no aroma/flavor. With a 90-minute boil, you can either add hops right at the beginning of the boil, or wait until there are 60 minutes remaining.

Yes like Hifidelity said -
and also wait for the boil to get a good roll on - and the protein (foam) mostly disappears to one side - then start your 60 min timer.
Happy brewing ! :)

in other words the additions are based on how much time is left in the boil.
60 minutes= 60 minutes left to boil 30 minutes=30 minutes left. Doesn't matter how long the boil is. "IF" the recipe calls for the first addition at 60 minutes and it is a 90 minute boil then you don't add the hops for the first half hour, add them when you have 60 minutes left.

mux11 - what I know so far (and I'm new to this too):

- the boil is usually 60 to 90 mins (I've read some grain like Pils needs longer to boil off)

- those first hops are the bittering ones and get more bitter at 90 than 60

- you can use cheap hop varieties for the bittering as you just want the percentages not the flavours (I had some recipes using expensive Citra before I knew I could use something else)

- the later ones at 30, 15 etc. are also bittering but add some flavour/aroma

- the 5 min, 0 min (whirlpool) are mostly aroma and no bittering - you get most bang for buying the good hops

- if you want more hoppy you can double/triple those late ones (with 10 mins or less to go) safely

- you need to be more careful about doubling bittering hops (the ones at 60 etc.) - just a small amount seems to have quite an impact on the bitterness

- some people/recipes don't add anything at 60 but much later which gives less bitterness and more flavour (I've not tried that yet)

- you can squeeze the hops with clean hands to get maximum in to primary

- when you first start brewing getting the right quantity in the boiler can be a bit hit/miss until you understand your equipment so it may take a few brews to know what you need

Any of this could be wrong :)

Latest posts

Back