Hop Schedule in NE DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
So I've brewed a number of New England/Northeast pale ales and my DIPA specifically I've brewed 6 times prior. Each time I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to achieving exactly what I'm looking for. I feel like I finally have the malt bill and types of hops locked in, I'm just toying with the hop schedule.

There's no way to get around the fact that these beers take a boat load of hops, but I'm trying to figure out where the hops are best used to I can cut down where they aren't as necessary. I'm torn between these two schedules. The first uses a bit more hops in the boil, and a close to equal hop stand and dry hop. Its pretty close to what I've done so far just with a smaller bittering charge:

.5 Apollo at 60
1 oz Citra, and 1 oz Mosaic at 10
2oz Citra, 2 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Amarillo Hop stand at 180 degrees for 45 min
2 oz each Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo split into two dry hops

My second schedule looks like this, just using Apollo in the boil, cutting the whirlpool hops down just slightly, and adding an even bigger dry hop.

.5 Apollo at 60
1.5 oz Apollo at 10
2oz Citra, 2 oz Mosaic at 180 degrees for 45 min
3 oz Citra, 3 oz Mosaic, and 2oz Amarillo split into two dry hops

So here's the real question. In New England style pales, are the dry hops or the hop stand hops where you get most of the good stuff? I've seen recipes where the hop stand hops are greater in quantity than the dry hop, I've seen recipes where there's 10 oz of dry hops, and I've seen them around equal. The Trillium clones I've seen, with info contributed by their brewer, has a smaller than I expected whirlpool addition and almost all flavoring hops used in massive dry hop additions.

So which schedule looks better? Whats the bigger deal, the dry hop or the whirlpool, or are they equally important in this style of beer?

I honestly think it's going to depend on other factors of your IIPA. what's the OG and FG look like? Grains used? ABV wanted?

I honestly think it's going to depend on other factors of your IIPA. what's the OG and FG look like? Grains used? ABV wanted?

Sorry I guess I probably should have included that. OG is usually right around 1.075. I usually shoot for an FG around 1.013 or 14. I target around 8% ABV.

I don't have my exact recipe in front of me, but its something like:

11 lb 8oz two row
2 lb flaked wheat
1 lb white wheat
8 oz carapils
6 oz honey malt
12 oz corn sugar

Mash at 150

Is there a reason why both flaked and white wheat? how about a flaked oat instead and maybe 50/50 that with the white wheat. maybe some C20 instead of honey malt?

Is there a reason why both flaked and white wheat? how about a flaked oat instead and maybe 50/50 that with the white wheat. maybe some C20 instead of honey malt?

White Wheat adds some nice flavor in addition to body. Flaked wheat is just body, but it works really well. I've used both flaked wheat and oats and I can't tell much difference between them. As far as the honey malt goes, I love it in these beers. I've used C20 in them too, but I prefer the subtle sweetness the honey malt adds when used in moderation

Mine is .5 oz bittering charge, then 3 oz blend of citra/mosaic/azacca at flameout. Then same blend for whirlpool and 2 dryhop additions. So 12 oz total non-bittering. Only have had one batch completed, but it was perfect, actually brewed it the same exact way on Friday. OG 1.064. Wouldn't change anything about it.

For the New England (Vermont Style) I like to make my IPAs less bitter and more juicy, so I add less hops early in the boil and utilize them more towards the end of the boil. I think this represents that style a bit more closely. I would suggest maybe move your 45 minute addition forward a bit? I like the citra, mosaic, Amarillo bundle. I make a citra bomb that I came up with when trying to clone a Sip Of Sunshine with what is, IMO, a perfect hop schedule for this style. Not too bitter, with a tons of juicy, sticky hop flavors:

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min,
0.75 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 60 min,
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 20 min,
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 20 min,
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min,
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Flameout
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

Full recipe is here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/386213/try-a-sip

make the carapils go away. no need with the wheat and the honey malt.

If you are looking for gravity points to make it up, more two row or corn sugar

Latest posts

Back