Hop Rod Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
I'm gonna try a Hop Rod Rye clone tomorrow, using Janx's Humboldt Hop Rod recipe. I've never had the real thing tho, and this will be just my third AG attempt, so I was hoping you guys could help me with the mash schedule. Will a single infusion mash work, and if so at what temp, or do I need to do a multi-rest mash? I skipped the mash-out step on my first two AGs...should I do one this time? TIA.

Here's my grain bill, for a 6.25 gallon batch, target OG: 1.083

Hop Rod Rye
10.5 lb. 2-row
4 lb rye malt
26 oz. munich malt
10 oz. dextrin malt
11 oz. wheat malt
8 oz. flaked wheat
1 oz. black patent malt

ElP....I don't think you need any kind of step-mash. This recipe is pretty straight forward, IMHO.

This is a perfectly balanced recipe...malty but hoppy. I'd mash somewhere around 152-154° to get the same results.

I am still not completely sold on Mash-out--I don't think it makes much difference, especially in a batch sparge. Don't know if you fly or batch (sparge), but I fly sparge and I never mash-out. My beers turn out pretty decent.

PM me your address. I'll send you an Iron Orr Brewery sampler pack along with a bottle of Hop Rod so you can compare. ;)

Single infusion mash is all you need for this one. I usually mash mine at 155 for 60 minutes. Always comes out the same, which is just like the real thing.

This is my house brew now, as I make this one a lot. It is by far my most favorite beer ever.

As for mash out, many people swear that you dont need to do it. I have done it and also have skipped it, and the results are the same.

ElP I'd really be interested on a play by play on your recreation of this brew. And if anyone has a breakdown on something close (if anything) for the extract clan I'm sure that would be appreciated.... (ok, I'D appreciate :eek: ) It's an outstanding brew...

Ize

If you did a stepped mash, you would lose too much malt & body.

Trying to do this extract would be very difficult, as rye is around 25% of the build. I've never seen rye extract (not saying it doesn't exist, but google "rye extract" and you don't get anything useful). Steeping malted rye would give you the flavors, but the starches wouldn't convert. You would still need a lot of rye and steeping it would be tough, it's like glue.

Hop Rod Rye AG
8.75 lbs. 2-row pale malt
2.5 lbs. rye malt
1.25 lbs. flaked rye
1.15 lbs. Munich malt
0.625 lbs. wheat malt
0.625 lbs. CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. Black Patent malt (NOTE: Ounces)

.75 oz Tomahawk (Columbus) hops 60 mins
.50 oz Centennial hops 30 mins
1.75 oz Tomahawk (Columbus)hops 0 mins
0.75 oz Amarillo hops (dry hop)
1.0 oz Centennial hops (dry hop)
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California V)

EXTRACT / PARTIAL 4ish gallon boil
it's a tough recipe in a 5 gallon pot so watch it
6lb liquid light gold extract
2 lbs. 2-row pale malt
2.5 lbs. rye malt
1.25 lbs. flaked rye
1.15 lbs. Munich malt
0.625 lbs. wheat malt
0.625 lbs. CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. Black Patent malt (NOTE: Ounces)

1.75 oz Tomahawk (Columbus) hops 60 mins
.50 oz Centennial hops 30 mins
1.75 oz Tomahawk (Columbus)hops 0 mins
.75 oz Amarillo hops (dry hop)
1.0 oz Centennial hops (dry hop)
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California V)

I'm racking the extract to keg tonight
9 days primary - 3 weeks secondary
5.5 gallon batch to make up for trub
OG 1.075
FG 1.020ish I'm guessing
IBU 70ish
Expected ABV: 7.5 % Expected ABW: 5.9 %
Expected Color: 12.8 SRM
efficiency set at 70%

looked light from the light extract but it won't matter it will be the bomb! had a huge volcanic ferment USE BLOW OFF! Thanks tony for the recipe.

Looking at the partial recipe, I'd add 1/2 lb of rice hulls. Last time I did a rye, forgot the hulls and couldn't get a drop of wort out of the mess. Ended up splitting the mash to two pots, doubling up on the water and then straining everything.

On the plus side, that's what got me started on batch sparging.

Rye does run the risk of sticking the mash...I've had good luck every time I've made this recipe AG, though.

I use a really simple single infusion mash. Mash out is never overly important to me.

I add the invert sugar to the kettle as it's heating up.

Cheers :D

I haven't even tasted one of these yet. Off to the store as I've been trying to figure out what to brew next! I have some WL CA Ale yeast slurry that wants to get to work or am I better served making this with the V version as someone below (urh, above) had mentioned?

The Hop Rod Rye recipes are the best! Once you brew one, you always want to brew another. This beer has sooo much going for it...taste, bite, body, aroma, and wonderful color.

Simply one excellent recipe!!!

ahh yes, one of my favorite beers. unfortanateky my version got stuck in the sparge and turned into a pale ale cause i couldn't get a third of the wort out. i also screwed up on the hop additions (which i had to hange on the fly) and wound up throwing my flavor hops in at 30, oops...but she still turned out tasty. just be careful with the rye.

Back