Hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewery1422

Reaction score
Had an idea that came to my head. When transfering to a secondary, if i filled the funnel full of loose hops and siphoned the beer through that, would i get any extra hop essence? Or is it a waste of hops.

I can't see cool wort pulling any flavor out, You would be better putting the hops in a sanitized muslin or paint strainer bag and tossing it in and "Dry hopping"
Be careful you don't overhop it, I don't know how you like your beer, but what the hell, only live once

Why are you using a funnel to transfer to secondary? You should be using tubing that goes to the bottom of your secondary vessel, minimizing any type of splashing that will introduce oxygen into your beer.

JohnnyO said:
Why are you using a funnel to transfer to secondary? You should be using tubing that goes to the bottom of your secondary vessel, minimizing any type of splashing that will introduce oxygen into your beer.

Exactly. You want to transfer as quietly as possible. No splashing! Additionally, I just toss my hop pellets straight in after I rack. No bag. I
After four or five days I cold crash at near freezing for a day or two and the hops settle right out. Works like a charm and no pain in the ass bag to remove from the carboy.

Back