Hop pellet particles in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_whit

Reaction score
In retrospect:
-I've always dry hopped with leaf, not pellet. Should have stuck with that
-I should have cold crashed before kegging.
-I should strained somehow while kegging, but the muslin bag over the cane idea really let me down last time I tried it

I tested the carbonation on the beer after a day in the keg and I'm not thrilled about how much particulate is floating in the beer from the pellets. I think it's really affecting the flavor, which otherwise seems pretty good. Will this settle out, or will the carbonation keep it suspended? Should I let it de-carbonate and re-keg with some kind of filter?

It should settle out.
A muslin mesh won't work well with pellets, next time use a piece of nylon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane.
And if you stick a large SS washer inside the material won't collapse or get sucked into the cane...

CO2_push_rig_05.jpg

Cheers!

Let it sit cold for a few days/a week. Pour out the first pint or so that has debris in it. After that it should be clear until you disturb the keg.

Latest posts

Back