Hop, Malt, and Yeast experimentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
Although I've been brewing for 6 years and have nearly 100 batches under my belt I've decided that I still would not be able to tell the difference between two SMaSH beers with confidenceLikewise, I would love to really know my malts.

So recently I've purchased 6 1 gallon carboys to start experimenting with every ingredient my LHBS carries.

Here's the carboys lined up and fermenting!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478972528.917577.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478972562.748519.jpg

I did 12.5 lbs of 2 row, Wyeast London ESB, .25 oz bitter, .5 oz hop steep, and .5oz dry.

Nugget, Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, and Centennial.

I'm gonna take a break from hops after this one and move into the malt!

Should be fun!

Looks like a good experiment. When I looked at your line up I first thought that it would be pretty easy to tell the difference but after thinking about I am not so sure. I think I could tell citra for sure and maybe cascade but with 3 cascade like hops finding the real cascade that might be harder. I have never used wakatu and nugget only once so I think I could identify those two from the rest but might not be able to tell the two a part without a description.

I quite often do single hop beers and find some hops don't seems to come across as the description lead you to believe.

Back