Hop flavours and brew storage temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrrk

Reaction score
I have heard before that storage temps can affect the strength of hop bitterness in time? Anyone have that experience? I just bottled a dry apple cider, hopped of course, my last hopped cider took two years before it really mellowed out, I really enjoyed it. My latest is more bitter than I can handle this time. Its carbonating in the bottle, I wonder if cooler or warmer storage temps can speed up the process any advice?

So generally, reactions happen faster at higher temperatures. That's why we keep hops in freezer, and food in the fridge. Following that generality, you could leave the bottles at a warmer temperature, and that will accelerate the "dampening" of the hop flavor. Just be aware that any other flavors that come with age will probably be accelerated as well.

So generally, reactions happen faster at higher temperatures. That's why we keep hops in freezer, and food in the fridge. Following that generality, you could leave the bottles at a warmer temperature, and that will accelerate the "dampening" of the hop flavor. Just be aware that any other flavors that come with age will probably be accelerated as well.
Hey thanks! I was just reading up on how hi temps break down the composition of oils in the hops, also how the warmer temps can cause off flavors in beer, also light strike. Anyways Cheers!

Hey thanks! I was just reading up on how hi temps break down the composition of oils in the hops, also how the warmer temps can cause off flavors in beer, also light strike. Anyways Cheers!

The off flavors caused by higher temps (within reason) are usually due to too warm of fermentation when the yeast throws esters and perhaps fusel alcohol. Once the ferment is over, the temperature doesn't matter too much except to make the beer mature faster.

The off flavor from light strike is a skunky odor caused by the breakdown of hop oils due to UV light. Keeping your beer or hopped cider out of the sunlight and away from other UV sources like fluorescent lights will avoid this.

Back