Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I am almost done with a 10 gallon eBIAB build, and I am wondering if I need to use a hop spider or not. I own one of the stainless mesh baskets that hang from the side of the kettle, but I would have to modify it to be able to keep my lid on for my steam condenser.
I have only once had issues with my 1/4" ID counterflow chiller getting clogged with hops, but I would like to never have that issue ever again. I had to use a bike pump to blow the hops out of the chiller. I was only gravity-feeding the beer through it when it happened, and I now own a Riptide pump.
Will a pump help prevent clogs from happening? Will whirlpooling help? Can I get a whirlpool going before clogging the CFC?
Thanks

As someone on this site once suggested to me, and what you already may be doing, flow through the CFC for the whirlpool. I have never had a problem with it clogging. This also sanitizes it for you with boiling wort. I start the whirlpool and start cooling at the same time and once it hits 175F I thow in my whirlpool hops and just keep cooling/whirlpooling for the whole 20 minutes, then shut it off and let it sit for 10-15 min before pumping to fermentor and cooling on the way. I use a Stout stainless CFC, not sure what the ID is on the wort tube.

I have never done a BiAB so don't really know the ins and outs and apologize if my reply doesn't apply.

I am actually going to use a couple of 3-way ball valves to control flow between two different sets of tubing. One flows straight to the whirlpool port, the other goes through the CFC before returning to the whirlpool port. I plan on using the short run of tubing for the mash recirculation and the actual whirlpool, because it doesn't restrict my flow. I will just have to collect a little bit of trapped wort from the CFC tubing at the end.

Latest posts

Back