Hop Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnoto

Reaction score
Hey all-
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but i'll start here.
I own a gift store that makes fudge, a lot of fudge. Over 20,000 pounds a year actually. I have also dabbled in home brewing and being a hop guy I wanted to make a hop flavored fudge. My first attempt was a flop. I used an extract (the only one I could find at the time) and fudge was way too bitter.

My question is, is there an extract on the market with little or no IBUs?
I want the flavor but I do not want the bitterness. I have had hop flavored hard candies that don't seem to have any bitterness but not sure how it was produced.

Any help?

Hop extract is probably not the best option cause its mostly used for bittering..I do not know anything about fudge but i assume there is some cooking right? if so i would make a hop tea and add try that out..if that fails maybe throw in some hops in a bag towards the end of the cooking process or maybe just use less extract..a dab will do ya

Cryo hops as well as lupulin still has very high levels of alpha acids. What your looking for are terpene extractions. Terpenes are the chemicals that form the flavors and aromas in nature. You'll find quite a bit of terpenes in hops but the big ones are myrcene, humulene, limonene, pinene etc. You can find all the terpene analysis by asking the hop providers or it may be public data like Yakimas. Match them to the hop profiles you're looking for.

Hop extract is probably not the best option cause its mostly used for bittering..I do not know anything about fudge but i assume there is some cooking right? if so i would make a hop tea and add try that out..if that fails maybe throw in some hops in a bag towards the end of the cooking process or maybe just use less extract..a dab will do ya

Well, you don't just add water to fudge, so a hop tea is out.

*edit* IDK, maybe with the cream... but again, IDK how they will react with one another.

Well, you don't just add water to fudge, so a hop tea is out.

*edit* IDK, maybe with the cream... but again, IDK how they will react with one another.

Gotcha..i dont have a clue how to make fudge just throwing out some ideas

"Cryo hops as well as lupulin still has very high levels of alpha acids"

I thought that too and made a pale ale with cryo and I adjusted the bitterness based on what was stated, it was not bitter at all, very disappointed

That's also due to the fact that most of those alpha acid readings on the package for cryo hops can be quite off. In my brewery lab we've found it can be off by up to 10, which I've contacted Yakima about. The problem is they only do spot testing so not all the packages have the same quality of lupulin.

Hop extract is probably not the best option cause its mostly used for bittering.

Not anymore. Do you know what hop? I use centennial hop oil and citra hop oil all the time at flameout and whirlpool. Maybe try a different variety? I have also added the hop oil to vodka, holy crap it makes a good kicker. (Drop a shot of it in a beer.)

When we make a small batch of fudge we start with 3 cups of water. That makes about 15 pounds of fudge. By hop tea, do you mean steep hops in boiling water?

When we make a small batch of fudge we start with 3 cups of water. That makes about 15 pounds of fudge. By hop tea, do you mean steep hops in boiling water?

Exactly, you can use a french press if you have one if not use a tea ball or cheese cloth, hop bag and let it steep in the hot water for 5-10 minutes..you can then add it to your recipe..3/4 oz of hops should work give or take

Back