Hop debris in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
So, evidently I didn't cinch up my hop bag very well when I dry hopped my latest batch in the keg...

Very first pint (which I expected to dump anyway) came out really dark green. Was not concerned. Dumped it. Second pint was not as bad but still pretty loaded with green floaties. Mild concern. Dumped it. Third pint... not much better, (but screw it I'm drinking this one and it's damn good!), most of the debris settled to the bottom of the glass. I might have shaken it up a little bit when I was messing with the gas regulator...

Am I going to be dealing with this for the entire keg, or will it settle out? Anything I else I can do?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: Using hop pellets

It should all settle to the bottom and will clear up soon. I've never had a debris (hop or yeast) issue after the first "pour one out for my homies" pint.

After my first untied hop bag fiasco, I dry hop during the last week of primary.

Yeah, I transferred to the keg to free up a fermenter... Probably the last time I do that.

I wouldnt use pellets again. if i end up racking a bit of the pellet hops from the fermentor i typically end up with a clogged dip tube. i couldnt imagine dealing with it all the the keg, even in a bag.

you could bend the dip tube so its not pulling beer from the bottom but an inch or two above it.

I agree, keg-hopping with pellets seems like risky bidness.

I dry hop with pellets in the fermenter, crash-cool then CO2 push to a keg with a nylon hop screen on the pickup tube.

When I keg-hop I always use whole cones in a sanitized muslin bag, and leave it there 'til the keg kicks. Never a problem...

Cheers!

I wouldnt use pellets again. If i end up racking a bit of the pellet hops from the fermentor i typically end up with a clogged dip tube. I couldnt imagine dealing with it all the the keg, even in a bag.

You could bend the dip tube so its not pulling beer from the bottom but an inch or two above it. I would know... I'm super smart.

So now I'm close to half way through this and the debris is still showing up in my pours... At one point the flow slowed way down because it was starting to clog. So I made an executive decision to crank the pressure up to about 30 and let her rip. Thankfully that worked and I got my flow back (yo).

Needless to say it's the last time I dry hop in the keg. :D

Back