Hop Combo for Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localhopper

Reaction score
Hey, I’m planning a Pale ale last time I used all Cashmere and I definitely used not enough. I would like to try that again however I also have a pound of cascade and centennial so I’m looking for other hop combinations to try out. Looking for a nice hoppy pale ale. Cheers 🍻
899918C0-B181-4D6E-97EA-114D57952CD9.png
899918C0-B181-4D6E-97EA-114D57952CD9.png

Edit* sorry for the double photo post

I will also be planning to dry hop and am using US-05

Yooper's Haus Ale is an all-cascade APA... and a forum favorite... I keep it in my rotation.
It's a very nice balanced APA recipe... I've had good luck switching out the hops (while maintaining IBUs) but always end up coming back to the all-cascade original....

Yooper's Haus Ale is an all-cascade APA... and a forum favorite... I keep it in my rotation.
It's a very nice balanced APA recipe... I've had good luck switching out the hops (while maintaining IBUs) but always end up coming back to the all-cascade original....

Thanks, I’m definetly leaning to using more cascade, maybe a little centennial for bittering and then cascade/ cashmere for aroma and dry hop

How do you want this beer to end up? Pale ale is kinda all over the map as it has evolved over time and popular hops have come and gone. Cascade/centennial will give you a classic APA profile but for a lot of people it's going to taste dated because it is one of a handful of hop combos that were in most APAs through the 1990s-early 2010s. Cascade/cashmere would be a nice blend IMO.

I don't profess to be a master of pale ales but if it were me trying to making something of a modern but not hazy APA I would bitter with centennial to around 40-45 IBUs and then do a 40/60 addition of cascade/cashmere at a rate of 1oz/gal as a big whirlpool addition. No late boil, no dry hop. Dry hop if you feel it is lacking in hop flavor but I don't usually find it necessary with this rate and timing.

How do you want this beer to end up? Pale ale is kinda all over the map as it has evolved over time and popular hops have come and gone. Cascade/centennial will give you a classic APA profile but for a lot of people it's going to taste dated because it is one of a handful of hop combos that were in most APAs through the 1990s-early 2010s. Cascade/cashmere would be a nice blend IMO.

I don't profess to be a master of pale ales but if it were me trying to making something of a modern but not hazy APA I would bitter with centennial to around 40-45 IBUs and then do a 40/60 addition of cascade/cashmere at a rate of 1oz/gal as a big whirlpool addition. No late boil, no dry hop. Dry hop if you feel it is lacking in hop flavor but I don't usually find it necessary with this rate and timing.

Thanks for that!
Yes I would say that aligns more with the style I want to go with. A newer style but not hazy APA.
I think I will follow something closer to those lines. So do you find there isn’t much benefit anymore with late boil additions and instead just using the bitter and whirlpool?
Cheers 🍻

Back