Hop Ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them all the time to dry hop with whole hops in the keg, after a while they will come apart at the hinge but that's after many uses.

It depends on what you want it for. Reading most of the reviews it seems this is not a good tool for boiling hops in. Some people think it might be useful for dry hopping but the ball cam only hold about an oz and I don't think they fit inside a carboy.

I was hoping to use them in the boil. Turns out it might be too good to be true. Oh well. I might pick up a couple to try for dry hopping. Thanks for the advice.

I use them in my boil and have not encountered any issues. Brewing the same beer with the hops in a mesh bag I can tell no difference in taste.

I use them in my boil and have not encountered any issues. Brewing the same beer with the hops in a mesh bag I can tell no difference in taste.

That encouraging! I'll be doing a brown ale with about 1.5oz EKG on Monday. Maybe I'll give it a try!

They work fine in the boil but remember hop pellets REALLY expand. Don't use more than 1/2 oz per 3" ball.

As long as the one at the dollar store is stainless steel I wouldn't hesitate. If the material is not apparent, I'd not use it though.

I use 4 of them for my boils, a combo of these two products:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Z2FKW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
4 ¼ x 3 ½"
31kGDPWMJtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4LGIO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
5 x 4"
41TJkdB9rbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For the smaller one I only put about an ounce and a half in each and they wind up about half full of hop sludge. It's been working great for my past 10 or so batches.

The one from Midwest looks tiny. I tried out a regular sized tea ball and it's pretty useless, way too small. Good for about 1/4oz.

I'd be concerned that the dollar store versions are not 100% steel and too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back